Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scared Of the Dark On Public Land ! HELP ME ! >

Scared Of the Dark On Public Land ! HELP ME !

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scared Of the Dark On Public Land ! HELP ME !

Old 07-29-2005, 12:31 AM
usa
Fork Horn

Default RE: Scared Of the Dark On Public Land ! HELP ME !

yeah MATT/PA that's the kind of advice an idiot give's someone asking for help.just because you aren't afraid of the dark doesn't mean that other's aren't, I grew up with an abusive father that loved to scare the crap out of me on the way to the deer wood's and then drop me off in pitch dark in the wood's unarmed and tell me to make noise and head toward's him to scare deer . it took me year's to overcome my fear but I did and now I'm in b/4 light and out after dark. I'm 6.2 and 230 lbs and you couldn't scare me with a gun to my head (which has been done ) yet I was terrified of the dark ! give this kid credit, courage isn't the absence of fear it's overcoming fear. My advice to you son would be that you are safer in the wood's than you are at home, darkness is your friend if you can't see them than they probably can't see you.you've admitted to yourself that you are afraid that was the hard part( as some of these macho men have declared REAL MEN DON'T GET SCARED thats b.s, now you need to work on getting over it ,to startstop watching that scary crap on tv and try to put an image to the sound like owl/deer etc, knowledge is power and the more you analyze your problem the less it will be a problem and like someone else said you are the baddest sob in the woods, let the dark be scared of you
Old 07-29-2005, 12:43 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: LungBuster101

Hey All ,
Welp I Got a Freakin Problem ! Its bad too.
I've got a fear too walk into Public Huntin lands in the Dark , i think something is gonna Pop out and Kill me or Eat me and no one will ever find out ! But like on Private Land I dont have a problem too walk-in in the Dark ! Also I got a problem think i'm gonna roll up on a crazy Yahoo Killer in the woods that will shoot me cause i'm in his Hunting Spot , also them Bears get me going too ! Can anyone Help me out on this Tiny Problem ? And Did you / or do you still get the creeps walkin in dark too your hunting Spot ?
Thanks Alot ,
LungBuster101

Call Me a Chicken But you could really Walk up on a Crazy Yahoo nows Days that will shoot you rather than look at you !Its Happened !
Crazy yahoos?
Could you be more specific? Is it the paranoid meth lab guys with their shotguns waiting in the bushes? Or may be it't the pot smokers with booby traps and trip wires that really give ya the willeys

Forget the yahoos. That time of day you are waaaay more likely to step on a poisonous snake heading home after a night of hunting. Like a copper head or rattle snake. They love to get out there in the middle of a path so they can warm up in the sun as soon as day light hits.

I wouldn't worry about it though, you would never have a clue until you already stepped on one and it was too late.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:51 AM
Typical Buck

Gee whizz, usa.
Now that I've read all the way to the end, now you make me feel like a butt hole.

Has any one ever read "The Bears of Blue River"?

When I get scared I just ask my self "What would Balzer do?"
Old 07-29-2005, 01:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very good story arrowslinger as we all can learn from that as its easy to get in a hurry or lazy to get set.
To answer the original question, not sure if you call it scared, but I would callmyself as beingcautious. Hunting in grizzly country, I'm not sure if I'm hunting or being hunted. Do I think about it while goingto and from my stand before or after dark while bowhunting? Do I think about it as I'm sitting on a ridge immulating a cow elk that also sounds like a wounded animal in distressed as I am dressed in camo and scent bottles out? I sure do as I am slipping through the bush by myself and quiet hoping I don't surprise a bear as my flashlight lights a tree that a griz has scratched and knolled on. Not to mention the bear crap on the trails while enroute. No I would not call it scared, maybe a challenge though knowing that I'm not on top of the food chain.
Sometimes you have to meet fear head on and then ask, what is the worst thing that could possibly happen? As what happened to arrowslinger, we are our worst enemy. Good luck.
Bobby
Old 07-29-2005, 02:00 AM

Thanks All that Replied !
I know that when its time too go i will go , weather i want too out not ! I just dont want too run into a Freakin Killer in he woods !
I mean I know it anit likely too happen but them people that told that dude too leave their stand Got shot up real good and they didnt see that happen ! People Like that Freaks My @$$ out !
Old 07-29-2005, 06:46 AM

I don't know if I can help but the only advise I can give if face the fear head on. I was broken of this fear at a pretty young age. We were searching for a guy missing from our fishing camp that had tried to walkto the other end of the lake to buya pack of butts(aprox 2.5 miles one way). This is in the wilds of Maine, there are no other camps between us and the sporting camps at the far end of the lake. It was early May and the rods weren't good and to make a long story short we got stuck at 10:00pm about a mile in on a logging road. There were two adults and myself. The adults worked to free the truck and I was chosen to walk back to the main logging road to wait for a warden or state trooper to come along (at this time there were about 50 people in the search). So armed with a 4 inch mag light I made my trek out of the woods.

Now I love the woods at night. I do quite a bit of hiking at night, especially in the winter. Now I'm not saying I'd like to wander central park at night but the woods are nothing to be afraid of.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

yeah MATT/PA that's the kind of advice an idiot give's someone asking for help.
usa,
Idiot huh?.......I was trying to lighten the mood a bit, that's what the are for. After you spend a little more time here you might learnhow to read between the lines and how to interpret the true tone of posts a little better.
If you think I'm an idiot you haven't been here long........I might be an idiot but I'm no IDIOT.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:11 AM

Matt that first reply was funny.good humor
Old 07-29-2005, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

All I can say is that if someone shoots me (or at me) they better kill me on the first shot. Otherwise this 6'5", 292 lb , well armed, US Army infantry trained, pissed off man (me) will kill you first (How do you think I got my nickname). If you are scared of the woods in the dark, stay out of the woods in the dark.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:32 AM

Just spend some time doing it! It is quiet, cool and fun. I been doing it for all my life(56) and have seen lion tracks on my way out in a puddle I checked on the way in. I have run into some real yahoos and some thinking a pistol made them big. People are a concern and especially if you hunt southern Arizona with the drug trade sneaking around. There I am armed even though it is illegal to carry in bowseason but oh well. Other than that I never packa gun while bowhunting and I never have had a need for one yet. Don't let an isolated whacko ruin the best part of hunting for you. Dark is good and the animals are better than the people. Use a penlight until you learn to enjoy the night then you will look forward to that part of your hunts.

Quick Reply: Scared Of the Dark On Public Land ! HELP ME !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.