Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Crackerized???

Old 07-22-2005, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Crackerized???

He does the same thing Monster Bows does, but yet everyone praised Crackers for what he does, but when I mention something about Monster Bows, I get flamed.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have seen people talk about Crackers and have to assume he is tuning his bows at full draw which can only be done with a machine of some sort which most people don't have and to set up a target bow to the best possible tune this is what needs to be done.A hunting bow may not need this but some have to have it to get broadheads to tune properly.

I can tune a bow as well as anyone can without a machine but I can tell you FROM EXPERIENCE that a machine is the only way to go for perfection.

Gibblet,you say you can't tune a bow for someone else and to a point this is true.BUT cam lean and cam and alignment and such has to be done at full draw.When you get a bow back that has been SETUP on a machine the owner then should TUNE the bow to group best for them and all that is required at this point is MINOR rest adjustments left and right for the torque the shooter applies and if the bow is a higher end bow and the shooterhas good form then the rest will most likely be back where the machine had it.

Where this guy is getting people is his ability to build strings that don't move and add speed,sometimes substantial.Alot of people can build strings but a very few seem to be building great strings that add speed and durabilty and also don't move around.

The biggest advantage for someone like this is arrow tuning,which I admitmost don't talk about this from him but that would be what I would have him do if I were sending him my bow but I am lucky I have someone like this local.As a matter of fact I just dropped off both my hunting bow(for strings and cables)and target bow for arrow tuning.This usually cost me less than my shop that I am a staff shooter for can build strings.Maybe that has to do with the amount of strings I sell for this person.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:09 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: gibblet

its beyond me that anyone would send their bow to someone to get it tuned. i've lost customers to him - which is ok, i'm too busy as it is - because they wanted to send me their bow and have me tune it after installing new strings. i tell them sure, i'll tune it to me, but that won't work for you - no one can tune your bow to you but you. i've even offered to send them directions to super tune it - but nope - they send it to someone. i'm positive he does good work, but he can't tune my bow to me better than i can. i just think its sad that someone would take the time and trouble to pack and ship their bow but won't take time to learn to tune it.
gibblet,

Is super tuning very complicated. If not send me the directions I would like to try.

Konk
Old 07-22-2005, 03:23 PM

i had the website saved in 'my favorites' on my computer i fried. i now have no idea where it is. basically start with level nock pt and center shot eyeballed. dial in your bow at 20 yards. go back to 30 and use your 20 pin. (its better to start closer and go back 5 yards at a time, but what's not in parenthesis will work wonders). if your groups hit left move your rest right a little and start from the beginning. (or vice versa if they hit right) keep at this until your dead on at 20 and from 30-40 yards with your 20 pin you're shooting a vertical line below the dot your aiming at. ok, now your center shot is set.

then put a piece of tape horizontally across your target and shoot it from 20 yards about 8 times. if your ups and downs are more than 1" off then take 1/8 turn off your bottom limb OR put 1/8 turn in your top limb and try again. repeat until your ups and downs are within a half inch or inch of the line - depending how picky you are.

your done and your bow is now s tuned.

and if i could shoot like a machine i'd agree with whoever said that, but since i don't i disagree completely ---- EXCEPT you added the disclaimer about someone not torqueing the bow, having correct form, and repeatability - which is more than 90% of the people don't you think. so why not tune the bow to you if you're not working on your form. if that's what you're doing then who cares how the arrows flying.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Only time I have "talked" to Crackers was asking about the characteristics of a Martin Slayer, as I was thinking about buying a used one I found. He gave me some insight on the Nitrous cams and I found it helpful(didn't end up buying the bow). Seems like a nice and helpful guy.

For anyone wanting good information on tuning, go to the Easton websight and download the tuning guide.There are pages upon pages of tuning techniques. As far as Gibblet mentioning turning one limb or the other up or down, I have used this technique as my final test when group tuning at long yardages. After reading an article from Frank Pearson many years ago, it seems to work for me.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mike [crackers] has worked on a martin for me , new strings and cam . I was very satisfied with him , he did very good work . Of coarse everyone has to tune their own bow , someone else can"t do it for you , and Id bet Mike would tell you the same thing .My guess is that he polishes and lubes axils and gets the cam/cams in proper rotation , that along with a set of his strings , which are of good quality , make the bow shoot better . Especialy a martin which comes with some low quality strings [ as most bows do] stock from the factory .

Edit , bowtech and pearson are 2 companies that come with quality strings
Old 07-22-2005, 08:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Gibblet,I was the one refered to the machine and I refered to the machine toSETUP,not tune,the bow at full draw and that can't be done without a machine without hours of trial and error.

You don't have to be a machine to get the benefits a a machine.I quarantee the machine takes the quess work out and once the machine has been used PROPERLY,all that is left is to group tune the bow.minor rest adjustments are all that is needed at this point and in my case,the rest is usually already properly set.

AND I CAN TUNE WITH THE BEST OF THEM.but still like the benefits of a machine.I used to be just like you untill I got a free tune with a set of strings and cables and now everytime I get a set of strings and cables,the machine will be used to set up the bow properly.AT FULL DRAW.

Like I stated earlier,I am a staff sooterfor a local shop and know what a well shooting bow is along with being able to shoot it.[]
Old 07-22-2005, 09:36 PM

I have spoken with crackers on the phone and he is a very nice guy. I will be sending him my bow next week for new strings and cables. His prices are more than reasonable, and I have heard nothing but good things about them. I am not going to my local shop because the strings they sell are junk, and cost more than what crackers is charging. I love to shoot my bow, but when it comes to things like changing strings, it goes to a professional. I would do more harm than good. Just like if something breaks or needs fixing on a gun, unless it is simple it goes to a gunsmith. That is what these people do for a living, not me.I don't have the time nor the money to learn and do it myself. I certainly can't justify spending X amount of dollars on a bow press, to only use once or twice a year.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well Gibblet I guess you've been crackerized LMAO.

nubo
Old 07-23-2005, 07:07 AM

tfox, i don't want to argue about the machine. i don't use 1. i've become friends with a world champ who says its junk - and there are others who really like it. i've never used 1 so how would i know? however i understand what the bow is doing at full draw is what's important. i also understand perfect scores have been shot and major tournaments won with bows extremely out of tune because of proper form.

nubo, this is nothing, if this was on AT there would be people from all over the mid-west flying into North Carolina to kick my butt and drag me thru the street while waiving crackers flags - for real.

Quick Reply: Crackerized???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.