Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How do you size up a buck? >

How do you size up a buck?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you size up a buck?

Old 09-23-2002, 08:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default How do you size up a buck?

How do you size up the bucks you see? I usually look to see how wide they are. If they are beyond their ears they are a nice buck. I rarely count points until after the kill, and I pay little attention to the mass. What are your techniques?
Old 09-23-2002, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do you size up a buck?

I sized up some nice 5 pointers this year in the 120 to 140 class. Even though these weren't in my bow range and when they were, I chose not to shoot as I am trying to hold out for the 180 this year, if I'm not tempted that is. Later, Bobby
Old 09-23-2002, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I imagine everyone has different methods of sizing up a buck, since hunters have different goals for what they want to shoot. For many years I would go with how many points a buck had. If he was at least an 8 point I would take him. Now I look at mass, tine length, number of points, estimate the main beams too. Basically, I score them on the hoof, as I want bucks that score at least in the 140`s or up.
Now I don`t want to be labeled as one of those snobby, elitest, better than everyone else trophy hunters, It`s just that I have been lucky enough to hunt alot, for a lot of years, and already have a bunch of bucks over 100", and a few in the 125-135" range, so I don`t need anymore. If someone else wants to shoot a smaller buck, I only have one reply to that. Please post some pictures so we all can see them!

NRA,UBP,BASS Member
New Stanton,PA
Old 09-23-2002, 10:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I look at it all. I look at beam length - to the nose, width - outside the ears with an 1" of daylight each side (18&quot, tine length(I like 10" G2's as min. and good graduation or stair stepping down) and number of tines(5 point or as americans call it 10 point) & finally mass ( can't rap the finger and index around the base). All are equally important to me and I know it takes more than just one to be "Trophy".

I also like the knarl and find it hard to refuse a nontypie, you know burrs, kickers, sticker, split brows, crab claws, palmation or the beloved droptine (or heaven for bid the double drop tine)! It just gets me jumping and pumping.

Old 09-23-2002, 10:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

The width is the main thng I look for, and a lot of the times height. Non-typical is usually a given on the big, mature bucks around here, even though I have seen a very few big typicals too. If it has a droptine, no big deal, I like the big frames the most!!!
Visit My Hunting Page
Old 09-24-2002, 12:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I look for spread,mass,how high it is and body size.
Old 09-24-2002, 06:08 AM

You gotta admit, the first thing everybody sees is the rack. But, for me, after that i look at body structure, muscle and tone and how wide he might be. I also consentrate on other things to make sure he doesn't know I'm there. Then I look at the rack and see how big he is and to my best judgement how old he is. The rack doesn't matter much to me, I just like the thrill of the hunt and being in the woods. If a big racked buck ever happens to fall to one of my arrows..... I have no problem with that but for now, i'll deal with what I get.

Knuckles up>>> Brian

Old 09-24-2002, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

The moment I catch the glimpse of an approaching deer I immediately begin the head check. If I have time, I start with the binocs and get right on the head and start checking mass, # of tines, and tine length. If the deer comes up on me quick or skulks in real unsuspecting like, then I try to do my best "on the hoof" scoring job as quickly as possible. I won't shoot if I can't get a good read on the head. Of all of the bucks I have, not one is non-typical...I'd love to get a narly hole-in-the-horn type monster.
Old 09-24-2002, 08:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

I love wide, heavy racks and that is what I look for when sizing up a buck, I also prefer a heavy bodied buck. The easiest way I have found to determine if a buck is fully mature is if his back is flat. As with Wolfen preference to non-typicals, that is mine also, I have never killed one though.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 09-24-2002, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since I get all the meat I need from shooting does (a requirement in MD), I holdout for mature bucks with at least 8 points as a beginning point. I look for width beyond the ear tips, and long tines (at least 6+&quot with mass being very desirable, but still 3rd in order of priority. Tine length and width are in a tie for first.

Today's small bucks are tomorrow's trophies.

Quick Reply: How do you size up a buck?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.