Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Since when did shooting a deer in the neck become an acceptable shot? >

Since when did shooting a deer in the neck become an acceptable shot?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Since when did shooting a deer in the neck become an acceptable shot?

Old 07-18-2005, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Since when did shooting a deer in the neck become an acceptable shot?

ORIGINAL: ash2042

Do you guys think the hunter on the video is pressured to get a kill. Maybe that is why they are taking those shots. I don't agree with those shots either just trying to figure out why someone would do that.
I'm sure the hunters are getting some pressure to fill their spot on the video.
Question for you Justin, was that the only shot the hunter could have taken or were the lungs/heart exposed?
Old 07-18-2005, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Since when did shooting a deer in the neck become an acceptable shot?

Awhile ago there was a gentleman on this site stated that he taught his daughter to shoot for the neck. I posted a reply about that not being a very good shot, and the response was that is an acceptable shot in the Texas bush. You people that hunt in Texas whatare your thoughts on this?
Old 07-18-2005, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Justin, maybe we should start up a hunting videos anonymous. I, too, have a problem. I am addicted to hunting shows.
I'm in. Everytime I leave Gander Moutain I have either looked for new videos or I have got another one in the bag.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot 1 deer in the neck with a bow, It severed his main arteryand he didn't make it 30 yards. Is this any differant of ableed out than the heart/lung shot? I also know a guy who strictly shoots the neck (gun hunter). He says it breaks their neck everytime and theydrop right in their tracks.I guess my arguement is "if it is a clean shot and a fast kill, then what's the differance, the animaldidn'tsuffer either way." Ok, let me hearyour disagreements, would like the opinions pro or con.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

The only deer I shot in the neck was with a 10 Ga. slug gun at 12 yards. the head and body were taken a way from the spot in two pieces
Old 07-18-2005, 11:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Double Creek

Ever since each hunter has had his own set of standards and ethics
Or lack there of.

IMO this is not anethical shot with a bow. Too much can go wrong and the odds of wounding and not recovering an animal are much greater with a neck shot then they are when shooting into the bolier room.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

I took my best buck with a throat shot but guess what.....it was not intentional. Adrenaline and an unseen small branch between the buck and I resulted in a very lucky hit. I am old school guys and gonna give it straight as I was taught and still see it. Taking a neck shot atbig game is stupid and is definately not what bowhunting has been in the past nor should be in the present or future. Think about how small the kill zone is in the neck using a bow and arrow.Guaranteed that the odds on making a clean kill taking a neck shot are much less than taking a shot at the heart/lung area, mainly because the vital zone is so much smaller.

Old 07-18-2005, 12:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

ItNEVER EVER entered my thoughts to do so.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:28 PM

the accuracy with a modern compound bow is the reason these shots are being taken. great accuracy, long ranges, power, mechanical broadheads, carbon arrows ............ everyone thinks they can squeeze a 38 yards shot through the brush and into the neck/body of a huge buck on video

theres your answer
Old 07-18-2005, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PA_BOW_HUNTER

Question for you Justin, was that the only shot the hunter could have taken or were the lungs/heart exposed?
Generally speaking, it's the only shot available. Whether it be because of the forward angle of the animal, or vitals obscured by brush/trees/etc. From what I've seen they generally happen when the hunter is at full draw and the animal either stops or starts to get spooked and it's the only shot they've got. I kind of picture them going "Well it's now or never, I better take what I've got and hope for the best". Although I have seen one or two taken on fully relaxed deer who, in time, probably would've offered a good shot opportunity.

Quick Reply: Since when did shooting a deer in the neck become an acceptable shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.