Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Since when did shooting a deer in the neck become an acceptable shot? >

Since when did shooting a deer in the neck become an acceptable shot?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Since when did shooting a deer in the neck become an acceptable shot?

Old 07-18-2005, 04:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Since when did shooting a deer in the neck become an acceptable shot?

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

Justin said the neck shots were all effective, game recovered. All these others that said they missed aiming at the lungs ( and that,s a huge miss ) and hit the neck said the deer fell right there or didn,t go far at all. So is the neck shot effective? But it sure sounds like it is effective.
Just what I was putting together. The debate states it one way but the evidence so far say's it another. I doubt I would, even if it was a monster, then again I'm not sure what is being called a neck shot. If it's a shot in front of the shoulder but directed at the vitals, I just might. That is a large area and if you can't hit that you should not be shooting. I could easily hit that with the head turned away. Just the neck though, I'm with the others that leave that for a gun, although I prefer the shoulder, especially when the land adjacient is off limits.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Since when did shooting a deer in the neck become an acceptable shot?

ORIGINAL: HNIJustin

ORIGINAL: Allseasonhunter7

ik idk i luke the chestheartlungs etc but ik people who say they shoot them in the next
What?
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

datamax

These folks who are taking the neck shots ,would do it if a trad bow was the only thing available. The compound bow isn't responsible for stupidity!

MOTOWNHONKEY

Unfortunately ,for the animal , some day you'll fully understand what your signature means!
Old 07-18-2005, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Stick to the subject.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:58 PM
New Sheriff

This deer found it to be most effective.

Not mine but I was hunting with the guy who shot it. He hit a branch and got lucky.

Old 07-18-2005, 08:58 PM
New Sheriff

I still don't know what he was doing shooting at a yearling....at dark....at 35 yds
Old 07-18-2005, 09:30 PM

MOTOWNHONKEY, I don't mean to be disrespectful but use the key next to the ENTER key when you want to shorten a word or givethe worda .possessive. If your comma is meant as a joke I apologize in adavance. As for videos showing neck shots I think they need to say it is not a good idea for a bow kill. I must first say I love Drury Outdoors videos. But on Whitetail Madness 8 Mark Drury reprimands an amateur team for taking a quatering to shot. Though I believe that is not a wise shot it was lethal in this case. Then on Dream Season 8 Mark Drury shoots his biggest buck of the season with a neck shot. The problem is Mark Drury doesn't say anything about this being a mistake or a bad shot. Mark is a pro and thus has the repsonsibility to say this is not a shot for the average bow hunter.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:41 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't know when or if it has. I passed up a 160+ ten point many years ago at 15 yards because he was cockeyed head on. I can think back and ask myself why didn't I pop him but it wasn't the best shot and I did the right thing. Smaller deer I don't have the same respect. Then again if one isn't in the right position I'll just drop one of his buddies that offers me a better shot. There are just way too many deer out there today to take a bad shot. It'sa hunter's paradise.

There is nothing worst then tromping through thickets and up and down hills looking for your deer let alone trying to drag it out. Hunt residential and do the property owner a favor.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mr4pt

This deer found it to be most effective.

Not mine but I was hunting with the guy who shot it. He hit a branch and got lucky.

Hey mr4pt

Is that a really small deer or does your buddy have extremely long arms?
That arrow looks longer than my bow!
Old 07-18-2005, 10:37 PM

I own a video of Stan Potts shooting a buck that goes 215" or something like that...........it is freakin' HUGE. I thought it was gonna be neat to see him take that buck until I saw the footage. When the buck came in he came in fast and just "appeared" on camera.......Potts got audibally rattled and you could hear the buck fever coursing thorugh his veins. The buck didn't like the looks of the area and I would say he was gonna be gone in another few seconds. Potts must have thought the same thing because he couldn't hold off any longer. He shot the deer right through the neck..........it was so bad that I remember saying "OH MY GOD!!" aloud when I first saw it. The buck bolted and then they cut to some stupid footage of him much later in the day saying he was on a "Good" blood trail. They found the buck (who knows what happened in between that horrid shot and the recovery) but worst of all is Potts really made no beef about the shot and kept saying that you just can't let a huge buck like that walk and he said many times........"I took the best shot he gave me"

What a disgusting sight and like has been said already..........no wonder so many pinheads out there take dumb shots and let the size of a rack wash away all their common sense.

Quick Reply: Since when did shooting a deer in the neck become an acceptable shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.