Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Trail cams and battery usage >

Trail cams and battery usage

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Trail cams and battery usage

Old 07-17-2005, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default Trail cams and battery usage

For those of you using trail cams with 35mm cameras how long are the batteries in the camera holding up. I am thinking of buying one but I wanted to get some input on which has the best battery life and takes pictures like it is suppost too.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Trail cams and battery usage

I have a cheap 35mm Stealth Cam and I only leave it up for 2 weeks tops. The battery life on mine goes from 2 to 3 weeks at best.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have a cheap 35mm Stealth Cam and I only leave it up for 2 weeks tops. The battery life on mine goes from 2 to 3 weeks at best.
I have the same camera and get about 3 weeks out of mine. They advertise 21 days and that is pretty much what I get given the amount of activity the camera records.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Humm, I have the same low budget Stealth cam, and easily get 5wks out of my batteries. Its over 1hr away from where I live, so I only get down there about 1x month in the summer. The last time I checked it, it was almost 6wks, and the low battery indicator light wasn't even on, and had 2 pics left to take. I use Energizers, and buy them by the 8pak at walmarts.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think it matters how many pictures the unit takes. my cheapo stealth does like 2 weeks worth but 2 rolls of film. if it wasnt taking pictures i would bet 6 weeks or more it would go.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

I'll admit that I do not have the answer to the battery life question other than my old Cam Trakker would through batteries every month or two.

It is my opinion that you should re-think the 35mm and look into digital scouting cameras. With the digital cameras there is no film or developing cost and some units are very battery friendly.

Just a thought.

John

Old 07-17-2005, 07:46 PM
Fork Horn

The old Cam Trakker that I used would get about one to two months out of the batteries. It was a big problem if I had weak batteries in it.

In my opinion you should re-think the 35mm and take a look at the digital scouting cameras. The 35mm units are cheaper but you will pay over time in film and developing. Some digital cameras are also very battery friendly as well.

I've taken over 3,000 pictures with one of my digitals in the last year. The cost would be huge with a 35mm in film and developing.

Just a thought.

John

Old 07-17-2005, 07:49 PM

ORIGINAL: BuckAlley same with me buckalley

Humm, I have the same low budget Stealth cam, and easily get 5wks out of my batteries. Its over 1hr away from where I live, so I only get down there about 1x month in the summer. The last time I checked it, it was almost 6wks, and the low battery indicator light wasn't even on, and had 2 pics left to take. I use Energizers, and buy them by the 8pak at walmarts.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Go with a digital, it will pay for itself very shortly, I have the Cuddeback and gotten almost 1500 pictures out of 1 set of 4 D-cell batteries, also you can set your camera to take alot ofpictures cause you don't have to worry about wasting film on just 1 animal, I found out that I was missing alot of great pictures with my old 35mm. Also the battery life really deteriorates when it turns cold with the 35's,with my old 35 I could get about 2 to 3 rolls on a set of batteries in the summer and lucky to get 1 roll in the winter. And best of all there is no waiting to see your pictures, just stick the memory card in your computer and you have them, A scanner, printer and card reader and your set for thousands and thousands of pictures with very little cost.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:34 AM
Typical Buck

Use a 12 volt rechargable battery like for a lawnmower or something.

Mine uses 8 AA batterys that's the same as a 12 volt.