Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Arrow Saw How-To >

Arrow Saw How-To

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrow Saw How-To

Old 07-16-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Arrow Saw How-To

Disclaimer* HuntingNet.Com and Washington Hunter should not be held responsible for any injuries incurred during the process of building and or using your arrow saws.There is always a chance of getting hurt using something made at home. Build and use at your own risk.

Supplies;
1.) Mini Cut-Off Saw (Item# 42307 at Harbor Freight Tools)
2.) 40" piece of 1" x 6"
3.) 2 10" pieces of 1" x 6"
4.) 1 3 1/2" piece of 2" x 4"
5.)1 4" piece of 1" wooden dowel
6.) 10 Screws
7.) Permanent Marker
8.) Measuring Tape
9.) Electric Drill
10.) Table Saw, Band Saw, or Hand Saw
11.) Drill Press

The Process;

Step 1.) Lay the 40" piece of 1" x 6" out on a flat surface or work bench. This piece of wood will be used for the Arrow Saw's base.

Step 2.) Line the edge of the Mini Cut-Off Saw with the edge of your base.

Step 3.) There are two holes on the opposite side of the saw. Use two screws and screw the Mini Cut-Off Saw to your base.

Step 4.) From the clamp on your Mini Cut-Off Saw measure 31" out on the base of your new arrow saw. Use a pencil or pen to mark the spot at 31".

Step 5.) From your mark at 31" measure back towards your mini cut-off saw one inch shorter than the length of the shortest arrow you think you will be cutting. (I shoot a 28" arrow so I measured 4" back towards the mini cut-off saw.) Use your pen or pencil to mark these spots on your base.

Step 6.) With your table saw, band saw, or hand saw cut your 10" piece of 1" x 6" into four 1 1/2" pieces. (Cut them lengthwise)

Step 7.) Place the four pieces you just cut along the edges of your base and screw them to the base.

Step 8.) Using your previous marks as reference points, extend them over the pieces you just screwed to the base and write what eash mark stands for.

Step 9.) Using your drill press, drill a hole in the back of your piece of 2" x 4" deep enough that your wooden dowel fits into it snug. After this is drilled out, drill a smaller hole straight through for a screw to fit into. (This hole is also the hole your arrow will fit into when you go to cut it so make sure it's lined up with the clamps on your mini cut-off saw.) Screw the dowel into the hole. This piece should fit snug in between the pieces you screwed into the base.

Step 10.) Enjoy your new arrow saw.

Well folks, I took my arrow saw apart, took some shots of the peices and put it all back together again for your enjoyment. Hopefully you'll be able to use what I typed up here and create your own arrow saws. Enjoy!

Old 07-16-2005, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow Saw How-To

Thats really nifty, I'm gonna have to look into that. If you don't mind, How much did the Mini-Saw cost?
Old 07-16-2005, 07:19 PM

At the time I bought my saw they were $19.99, but from what I'm hearing now they're around $29.99. Not too bad considering you're only going to be spending $45 - $50 on the supplies to make something that regularly costs around $120. I had everything but the saw so the total cost for my set up was $19.99.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:29 PM
Typical Buck

Pretty crafty lad you are... how many RPM's does that little chop saw turn out? That'soneneat looking teeny saw. Is it well made? I imagine it works well with a thin cut off wheel to reduce stalling... so long as you don't push too hard. Looks like a nice rig. Woops... good gravy... I see now the pic you posted already has the RPM's listed. Doh! [&:]
Old 07-16-2005, 07:33 PM

It's a great little saw, actually. In the last year or so I've cut probably 2 dozen arrows with it and I couldn't be happier with it's performance. It took a little getting used to at first because you do have to go a little slower than you might think for it to not stall, but it get's the job done well.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:14 AM

Just going to bump this up once in case anyone who wanted to see it missed it.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

BUMP...

This is a nice idea..

Think i'm gonna make one, i like making my owns things, rather than buy.. They usually turn out better anyways.. LOL.. and it feels more gratifying when you build something yourself and use it and it works great.. Like ARROWS..
Old 06-23-2006, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks for the instructions.. i jsut bought a harbor freight saw last week and have temporarily rigged it up to my work bench and a few scrap peices of wood. I plan on building something simlar in the near future... thanks
Old 06-23-2006, 04:48 PM
Spike

I like that the blade cuts from the top. I have an Apple saw, and I like it, but I can't help thinking that it doesn't cut perfectly straight because the arrow is coming into the blade from the side at a slight angle.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:40 PM

I wish I would have thought about things before I deleted those pictures from PhotoBucket. I had no idea it would affect posts here.

It was a much better article with the pictures.

Quick Reply: Arrow Saw How-To

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.