HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Arrow Saw How-To
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2005, 05:58 PM
Washington Hunter

Default Arrow Saw How-To

Disclaimer* HuntingNet.Com and Washington Hunter should not be held responsible for any injuries incurred during the process of building and or using your arrow saws.There is always a chance of getting hurt using something made at home. Build and use at your own risk.

Supplies;
1.) Mini Cut-Off Saw (Item# 42307 at Harbor Freight Tools)
2.) 40" piece of 1" x 6"
3.) 2 10" pieces of 1" x 6"
4.) 1 3 1/2" piece of 2" x 4"
5.)1 4" piece of 1" wooden dowel
6.) 10 Screws
7.) Permanent Marker
8.) Measuring Tape
9.) Electric Drill
10.) Table Saw, Band Saw, or Hand Saw
11.) Drill Press

The Process;

Step 1.) Lay the 40" piece of 1" x 6" out on a flat surface or work bench. This piece of wood will be used for the Arrow Saw's base.

Step 2.) Line the edge of the Mini Cut-Off Saw with the edge of your base.

Step 3.) There are two holes on the opposite side of the saw. Use two screws and screw the Mini Cut-Off Saw to your base.

Step 4.) From the clamp on your Mini Cut-Off Saw measure 31" out on the base of your new arrow saw. Use a pencil or pen to mark the spot at 31".

Step 5.) From your mark at 31" measure back towards your mini cut-off saw one inch shorter than the length of the shortest arrow you think you will be cutting. (I shoot a 28" arrow so I measured 4" back towards the mini cut-off saw.) Use your pen or pencil to mark these spots on your base.

Step 6.) With your table saw, band saw, or hand saw cut your 10" piece of 1" x 6" into four 1 1/2" pieces. (Cut them lengthwise)

Step 7.) Place the four pieces you just cut along the edges of your base and screw them to the base.

Step 8.) Using your previous marks as reference points, extend them over the pieces you just screwed to the base and write what eash mark stands for.

Step 9.) Using your drill press, drill a hole in the back of your piece of 2" x 4" deep enough that your wooden dowel fits into it snug. After this is drilled out, drill a smaller hole straight through for a screw to fit into. (This hole is also the hole your arrow will fit into when you go to cut it so make sure it's lined up with the clamps on your mini cut-off saw.) Screw the dowel into the hole. This piece should fit snug in between the pieces you screwed into the base.

Step 10.) Enjoy your new arrow saw.

Well folks, I took my arrow saw apart, took some shots of the peices and put it all back together again for your enjoyment. Hopefully you'll be able to use what I typed up here and create your own arrow saws. Enjoy!