Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would youShoot

Old 07-14-2005, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Would youShoot

It's my first year bowhunting, and I'll be hunting public land, so if I saw a buck like that and he gave me a broadside shot at <30 yards, he's going in the freezer.

Mike
Old 07-14-2005, 05:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well in order for me to shoot a buck I have to shoot a doe first, then the buck has to have atleast 3 points on one side. So no I wouldn't shoot it on opening day. By the last day, the earn-a-buck sanctions are lifted, so yes to the last day of the season.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

Just about everyone in my area would shoot this guy at first chance. I let an eight go last year that was about his size, justa tad more tine length which this guy would get. I let him pass because I knew there were bigger bucks in the area and he would have potential for next year if he made it through. I want my wall hanger which to me is about 16" in spread or greater and good tine length with a rack of 8 pts or more and if he doesn't come I always get my freezer full with a nice doe.

On a side note: 3 years ago I wouldn't hesitate to take this guy but knowing now that the doe population is too high in my area I opt to take a larger buck and always a doe or two while inviting friends to come out and take a doe too.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:01 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

For those who can pass in hopes of realisitcally seeing that deer next year.....I hope you understand how lucky you are.
Not trying to flame you Rybo, but personally I would let him walk.

I'm betting that Rybo's post was geared for the PA boys,and I would have to agree with him, sadly, that he's probaly not going to make it through rifle season.

I'd get a smile watching himscratch an ear with a back hoof, and smile again as he walked away,holding out to see him again next year... even though the PA odds are slim. [&o]
Old 07-16-2005, 05:30 PM

Thanks for all the responses. This buck is on private land with lots of pressure on and around the area. Last year I seen lot of young bucks so I hope a few will make it through this year. The county produces big bucks every year so I think the odds are improving for people to shoot one if they are willing to pass on one like this. Good luck to all.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

i personally would shoot this buck especially if i were bowhunting. i've never killed an animal with a bow. so pretty much any buck bigger than a spike is fair game. but up in ky where i bowhunt has some serious monsters. i've only seen a few bucks that size or smaller where i hunt sooo. he would probably be bigger than that body and rack wise.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cool pics
Old 07-17-2005, 11:59 AM

He has good potential to be a monster in a year or two. I would let him go.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:19 PM

Yes, I would..Live in two buck county..So yea I would even on opening day..
Old 07-17-2005, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

Hmm..[]hard call depends onwhere you hunt and reside, IMO definately not opening day that would limit my possibilites due to the 3 Tags giving for either sex with a long season ahead;

End of season, no tags filled he may be put down, I'm a meat hunter first does are plentyful two a day on Quantico Marine baseon their tags

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.