Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The great antler debate continues. >

The great antler debate continues.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The great antler debate continues.

Old 07-13-2005, 05:40 PM

Default RE: The great antler debate continues.

Kid? how do you get at that i'm a kid? i may not be the oldest person on this website, but i'm sure not the youngest.thats just how it is in the real world, the older think they can just push the younger adults around...but i'm not that way and i sure knowDeerslayerisn't one like that either!one you sat there and said out in the blue, "The only thing I dislike more than somebody other than DNR telling me what to shoot is somebody doing it on the pretext that it "helps the herd" or "improves the hunting". in other words...refering to me as if i were telling people what to shoot and not to shoot. i never told anyone what to kill and never have. ihave only given my opinion and try to get more people to practice QDM like me and lots of other people out there. if this isn't how you meant it to be written, then i apolagize.

Driftrider, when i go out to hunt i don't just hunt for world class bucks. i hunt for the enjoyment of being in the outdoors. granted all of us here would probably love to kill and huge buck. and i do too, but i hunt for does too. last year all i killed was does, and the year before 1 buck and 1 doe.the way i see it it should be 2 does for every buck someone kills. what i am saying is if where ever thay set these AR's at, some need them more than others, and some don't need them at all. but the score system, if they don't like giving people lee ways, then the hell with them. i'm sure they will give a lee way other wise it will be to hard for people to judge. that or they could give people warnings like cops do for tickets. kill more than 1 under min. score...then you get fined or whatever they want to do. i would go for the min. score over the 4 pt law.

if i could just express one more time. i don't mean to offend people unless i feel like they are offendingme. sorry to anyone that felt like i offended them.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Buckhunter 17

one you sat there and said out in the blue, "The only thing I dislike more than somebody other than DNR telling me what to shoot is somebody doing it on the pretext that it "helps the herd" or "improves the hunting". in other words...refering to me as if i were telling people what to shoot and not to shoot.
You, that I know of, have offended no one. But, I do believe he was making reference to the lawmakers telling him that, not you....
Old 07-13-2005, 05:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Well in Mo if your are just after venison ,simply buy a 7.00 doe permit and shoot a doe. I agree. Save your other permit for a nice buck.
Chuck
Old 07-13-2005, 06:02 PM
Typical Buck

This has gotten out of hand. Please, stop critisizing and just read opinions and dont pick out any certain names or quotes, I am against AR's, thats all Im gonna say, and Im going to give reason to back that up, if you don't like it, Im sorry, but I have never been for AR's because you cant manage a mature buck with small antlers, therefore, you cannot manage the herd. The whole point of AR's is to manage the herd. I was giving out suggestions on a practical solution to a problem, I did not intend to cause an uproar. Your right, some people can't judge antler sizes, but what determines if its a point? Are you going to zoom in and see if its over one inch? No, thats why you use common sense. Ask yourself, "if I shoot this buck, will it effect the herd?" I am fed up with AR's becuase I have seen so many yearlings with 8 points. If you really care enough about your deer herd, then by god, do what is best for it, not for the state. If there is a mature 6 point, then take it, you will pay in the long run when you have tons of 3x3's running around. The only solution is your judgement.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Here in Missouri, the Conservation Department changed its lawsin 29 counties stating a legal buck has to have 4 points of at least one inch on one side. As you can imagine, there have been some heated debates about this. As I was reading a magazine last night, a gentleman from northern Missouri was all in a bunch over this. He says that it is the beginning of the end of hunting, and that since he can no longer shoot a small buck, he cannot as effectively provide food for his family. That is the condensed version.
Now, here is my thought, I want to see if you agree or disagree with me. Yes, probably the first year or two he will have to pass up several "illegal" bucks. But, wouldn't it stand to reason that after a couple of years it will even out, and there will be more "legal" bucks to shoot anyway, thus making his opportunity for a harvest higher again?
I know I had to let 3 bucks walk last year because of this, and yes, it was frustrating, but, I know in the long run it will be worth it. Everybody's idea of a trophy buck is different. Myself, I have never shot a buck with my bow, so a 2x2 would be a trophy. But not for others. It is my opinion that this law was established to grow bigger bucks, (obviously) but not so much to benefit the heard as to bring in out of state dollars for tags.

Do you support this type of rule, or not?
I assume their using the antler restriction to increase thedoeharvest? Cant this gentleman feed his family with a freezer full of doe meat?
I dont personally believe any governing body over the wildlife would enact a antler restriction to produce big bucks to increase non resident revenue. If there is such people, they dont belong in their position.

edited to add....

Wow , after reading through the entire thread , there seem to be quite a few folks who don't understand why antler restrictions are being implemented.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:58 PM

Yes, he absolutely could feed his family on does. That was my point exactly. This guy was saying this is the end of hunting, and that AR's are just a way of handcuffing the law abiding citizen. Yes, the DOC intended to up the harvest of does. But, I stand by my statement of increasing revenue, and this is why. Look at Kansas, Iowa, and Illinois. Those are 3 of the most popular deer hunting destinations this side of Texas. Why? Because they hold monster whitetails. Out of state tags, as you know, are considerably more expensive than resident tags. The state has "sold" nothing more to a NR, thus increasing revenue. Perhaps this is just an added bonus, and was never the real intent of the DOC.

Old 07-13-2005, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Perhaps this is just an added bonus, and was never the real intent of the DOC.
Like I said above , if it (antler restrictions) was "the real intent" of the DOC to just increase revenue , then your DOC is not doing their job.
My guess is , their trying to increase doe harvests by forcing hunters to let small bucks pass and take does instead.
The other alternative is to have earn a buck , or worse yet ,a buck tag lottery , which people may very well see soon enough if they dont start doing their part in bringing down the doe population.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:18 PM

I'm currently lobbying for a law where you cannot shoot anything less than 5 points on one side, or an inside spread of 21" or a gross score of 180" P&Y or B&C. Antler restrictions at their best, designed so I can litter my wall with huge bucks. To hell with ya'll who want to shoot meat for the table, to hell with ya'll who think shooting any buck or small 130"-150" dinks is a challenge. Step into my world, the World of Datamax, where AR's RULE and anyone caught breaking them is shipped out of state and forced to hunt with a Crossbow

Next year, after the new AR's are passed, we're also implementing a mandatory steroid injection program and gene enhancement study - we project that in 12-14 years Arkansas will be producing between 12,000 and 15,000 genetically enhanced, antler restriction protected, main frame 10 point Boone and Crocket bucks per calender hunting month

Hunting is great, isn't it ?
Old 07-13-2005, 07:24 PM

HMMMM.....Do I detect a hint of sarcasm?? LMRBO
Old 07-13-2005, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: datamax

I'm currently lobbying for a law where you cannot shoot anything less than 5 points on one side, or an inside spread of 21" or a gross score of 180" P&Y or B&C. Antler restrictions at their best, designed so I can litter my wall with huge bucks. To hell with ya'll who want to shoot meat for the table, to hell with ya'll who think shooting any buck or small 130"-150" dinks is a challenge. Step into my world, the World of Datamax, where AR's RULE and anyone caught breaking them is shipped out of state and forced to hunt with a Crossbow

Next year, after the new AR's are passed, we're also implementing a mandatory steroid injection program and gene enhancement study - we project that in 12-14 years Arkansas will be producing between 12,000 and 15,000 genetically enhanced, antler restriction protected, main frame 10 point Boone and Crocket bucks per calender hunting month

Hunting is great, isn't it ?
You'll be shooting a whole lotta does then. Thats great!! It's good to see someone doing their part for the health of the herd!

Quick Reply: The great antler debate continues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.