Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The great antler debate continues. >

The great antler debate continues.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The great antler debate continues.

Old 07-13-2005, 12:53 PM

Default RE: The great antler debate continues.

I like the AR we have here in PA. MOre specifically in southeast PA where I am we have some nicer bucks now because of it. Nw we need to cut down the antlerless licenses
Old 07-13-2005, 02:42 PM

The Missouri AR law doesn't apply to the youth season, so the kid out on there first hunt can kill a spike.
We have a lot of does, so if what you are after is meat you still have
a great chance of filling your freezer. The jurry is still out if it will work here, that is why they are doing the trial in 29 countys. This will be the second year, I was kind of surprised they didn't expand it
to more counties this year. I for one hope it helps bring the doe/buck ratio of the herd more in balance and we will see more mature bucks
Old 07-13-2005, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Well, only thing I can say is..........letem go so they can grow.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

As I was reading a magazine last night, a gentleman from northern Missouri was all in a bunch over this. He says that it is the beginning of the end of hunting, and that since he can no longer shoot a small buck, he cannot as effectively provide food for his family.
Shoot does. Big does aren't hard to come by, and they taste the same or better.

if the deer can't grow to its optimum genetic level then he will never breed a doeto that level.
Age has nothing whatsoever to do with genetics. Deer, like humans, die with the same genetic code that they are born with no matter how old they are.

Use age and/or a size limit...ie 125inch minimum.
While I think that antler point restrictions are stupid because theyprevent the taking to older deer with small racks,antler score restrictions are even worse. How exactly isthe average joehunter supporsed to score a live deer accurately to ensure that it complies with the law? Sure, outfitterson private lands (many of the high fense variety)can use this type of requirement because they, or a guide representing them, is right there to make the final shoot/no shoot call and bears the responsibilityif they misjudge. To impose such a system by law wouldturna lot of honest hunters into poachers due to misjudgements in rack size (aka ground shrinkage). Howwould you like to be the one toldby a DNR officer, "well sir, your buck only scores 123 1/2" so I'm afraid I'm going to have to cite youfor poaching this animal and take your gun/bow and truck because you were 1 1/2" off youreyeball measurement. Sorry, but I'm just doing my job."

Legal antler restrictions in any form are the proverbial big s*** sandwich and all hunters will have to take a bite.

Mike

Old 07-13-2005, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can only pray they bring AR's to where I hunt.
You guys that are so against it I notice you are from Pike Co, IL. Well duh....you have one of the best herds in the country. Your 1.5yr olds are probably bigger than most of the deer where I hunt. Come and hunt on ground where a 5.5yr old might make p&y....then you'll want AR's.
PA is a prime example that it can and does work. I agree, it may not be the absolute perfect solution....but it is probably the most practical and enforcible one available. Also, I belive PA has a youth law or something...so the young hunters can still take a buck of any size. Maybe someone from PA can elaborate on that, I'm not 100% sure.

I say "Let em go so they can grow!"
Old 07-13-2005, 03:12 PM

if they go with the 125 min. score restriction, then they will have to guve people a bit of a lee way on them. like lets say 10 inches. i never meant for people to have to guess the deers score right on the dot.

all the outfitters around where i hunt don't sit right next to the person in the stand and tell them to shoot. even if they do around where you hunt, im sure they let the hunter guess if he is big enough first. then they go from there.

still this year in IL will be bull****, because they did away with check stations and won't be able to measure the deer or check if it has the min. ammount of pts. in doing so there will be more poachers in the woods killing deer than ever before. people who process their own meat can kil a buck and tag it as a doe. the only way they will catch people is when they take the meat to a processer.

don't you see though WV hunter, we have such good deer genes and QDM around in pike co., that that is the reason we don't want the AR's. where some people hunt, it may be the only thing that works, but where i hunt in Pike, it will make it worse. if they put AR's in IL i don't think it will be across the entire state, only the counties with low #'s and poor buck genes.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buckhunter 17

don't you see though WV hunter, we have such good deer genes and QDM around in pike co., that that is the reason we don't want the AR's. where some people hunt, it may be the only thing that works, but where i hunt in Pike, it will make it worse. if they put AR's in IL i don't think it will be across the entire state, only the counties with low #'s and poor buck genes.
I agree 100%...you don't need it. And I;m not picking on you guys from that area. It's just that you can't possibly understand hunting in an area that DOES need it.
But just because you are lucky enough to live in one of the best areas in the country, doesn't mean that it is not an effective and needed tool in other places. If I had to wait on a 125" deer, I would never have killed a buck in my life to date. I may not be the best hunter out there, but I hunt hard and have for a long time. I have killed several mature deer and that is my goal each season. I don't live in Mo, but I can only assume they are doing it there for a reason. I think the biggest thing AR's do, is add to the Doe harvest. Many areas need the doe pop reduced. Some people hunt to hunt, and meat is meat. A doe to them is just as good as a buck.

Another thing I think is a good idea, is earn-a-buck like they do in some states/counties. I would love to see that where I hunt, as there are way to many does.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

if they go with the 125 min. score restriction, then they will have to guve people a bit of a lee way on them. like lets say 10 inches. i never meant for people to have to guess the deers score right on the dot.
That's not how the law and legal systemworks. If it gave 10", then why not set the limit at 115"? I guarantee you that not even 10% of hunters can judge a rack +/- 10", 100% of the time. The answer is not in antler restrictions thatturn honest hunters into criminals becauseof unrealistic requirements that are hard to judge in real world conditions mandated bya bunchof antler chasers thatare upsetthat trophy deer, by definition, are(and ought to be) rare and prized.

If every deer were record-book sized, then there'd be nothing special about taking one and no point to keeping track.It's like grade inflation for deer. A 150" rack isn't worth anything if everyone else has one hanging on their wall too.

I hope that Iowa has the good sense to never change deer hunting to antler hunting.

Mike
Old 07-13-2005, 04:49 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Buckhunter 17

and forKevin1. i don't care whatyou say about my postor what u quote outof it. for all i know, is thatyou saidthat you didn't like the law and i said i din't either. therefore we can harvest or practice QDM however we want to. if you like killing spikes and forks and what not. go ahead, but i don't and i was expressing my opinion on how i practice QDM. i never once told anyone how they shouldmanage their herd of deer.i shoot what i think is a good deer to harvest and you shoot whatyou think is a good deer.
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about kid , the only reply I've made was to Mobowhunter's starting postand I didn't quote anyone . Park your attitude , I haven't done anything to you .
Old 07-13-2005, 05:33 PM

First of all im glad that we still have people involved in hunting that are passionate, regardless of your stance on the issue. Second, Mississippi State conducted research on their 4pt rule and found that in certain parts of the state the overall rack size decreased. To agree with the PA hunters I have seen the rewards of the AR rule. I just try to shoot one a little bigger than my last, by the way I couldn't judge a 125 anyway.

Morty3

Can't we all just get along. --- Rodney King

Quick Reply: The great antler debate continues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.