Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Food Plots

Old 07-13-2005, 07:58 AM

Default Food Plots

I hunt a ridge line that makes a U shape and I am wanting to put a food plot at each corner. I have been looking at the Mossy Oak Biologic Hot Spot, Whitetail Institute Secret Spot, and Evolved Habitats Easy Plot Forage. Any feedback would be appreciated
Old 07-13-2005, 10:50 AM

Default RE: Food Plots

I've had quite a bit of success with Whitetail institute products. This is the second year I've planted Powerplant. Last year I had about 1000 sq' test plot and the deer tore it up so this year I planted about 10,000 sq'. I really wish I had more land I could plant with the annual. I have a 1/2 acre imperial clover plot that the deer hit hard in the early spring and late fall. The deer prefer the powerplat durring the hot months but clover is there year round if the snows not too deep.

I did try to plant the secret spot last fall but I had poor results. We got a ton of rain shortly after I planted and the plot got pretty wet. Some of the mix came up but it was very sparse to say the least. I'd considered planting it again but I think I'm going to try some brassicas (turnips most likely).

So there is some feed back. I'd take it with a grain of salt though. Conditions were by no means grate so I don't fault the product. Everything else I've planted from the WI has thrived and I would recommend their seed highly.