Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 A little about you & your camp... >

A little about you & your camp...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A little about you & your camp...

Old 07-13-2005, 03:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default A little about you & your camp...

Who do you hunt with? When do you hunt? What kind of land do you hunt?
I hunt w/ my daughter for 3-4 days in the beginning of Oct. Then w/ my 2 brothers for 9-10 days in the middle of Oct. And we hunt 160 acres of private land in northern Michigan.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A little about you & your camp...

I bowhunt most weekends (making most of them 3 day weekends) in Oct and Nov. Usually I'll get about25-30 days of bowhunting in.I only gun hunt 4-5 days.

Iown a farm and campin WV that isa little over 400acres. I live in Ohio, and also hunt here.

I also rabbit hunt most weekends in Dec, Jan and Feb here in Ohio. Turkeys in the spring.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:23 AM
Fork Horn

I get out and hunt every chance I can, mostly weekends. We have a bowhunting weekend at camp in Ralph, MI at the end of October where some friends from down state come up for 3-4 days. I then take a week or so off just before and during the opener of rifle and bowhunt the rut and during the first three days of rifle, I am at camp with my inlaws playing cards and eating like kings when we are not hunting, hearing them say, "your not going out with the bow are you"!!!
Old 07-13-2005, 05:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Me? I don't own a camp or farm or land or anything.... [&o]

Looking back I guess I'm just a small town kid from upstate NY who never went hunting as a kid. I was the youngest, the baby, the only boy.... so when I came of age, my dad, uncles, dad's friends, etc.. had all been there/done that and had given up hunting.

Fast forward 30 - 35 years. I am now 44 years old, living in Richmond, VA,and in my fourth season of hunting. I hunt public lands and state forests (along with everyone else ) and yearn to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city. I mean, if I have to drive 4 - 5 hours the night before and hole up in a motel somewhere, just to get in some prime hunting the next morning - I'll do it. ANYTHING just to get away and get off the beaten path.

Anyway, I go bowhunting with my trusty old PSE bow and my Summit Viper X4 treestand. I still bowhunt during muzzleloader season, 'cause I don't own a ML. During general firearms, I either use my Remington 870 Express or I'll use my Marlin 30-30, depending on what county and what ordinances there are.

The way public land WMA's are down here....99% of the time, I don't even bother on a weekend. Too dangerous and too scary! [&:] I hunt state forests on Saturdays, and use a lot of individual vacation days during the fall to hunt during the week.

Deer, turkey, and maybe rabbits (don't own a Beagle though...) are my primary game. I tried my hand at waterfowling for ducks and geese, and gave that up due to expense and ridiculous laws involving that sport. Besides, believe me... you will freeze your a$$ off far worse when waterfowling than you would on any of the coldest of cold deer hunting mornings!

Who's next?

Butch A.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well I hunt alone now. My dad was my hunting partner for the longest time but he's stopped hunting. Occasionally I'll hook up with a buddy for a hunt or 2. I hunt all private land that I have been fortunate enough to be granted permission. I have a few different areas, some are better than others, some I've hunted since I was 12, others this will be the 1st archery season. I am able to hunt 4-5 days during the week(evenings after work) and all weekends. Right now I am scheduled off the 1st 2 weeks of november. I get a lot of time to hunt.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well it depends on whats going on. Most of the time I am hunting alone or with my dad during archery season. Then in rifle season my grandpa will come along with us, and sometimes my uncle. The during ML season, I either go back to solo again or I can go down south and hunt with a different uncle and a few of his buddies.

There are a couple different properties that I hunt, we haev 10 acres at our house, then my grandpa owns a piece of land that is 20 acres that we hunt. Then the first uncle I mentioned owns other 20 next to two farms where I can hunt, so I would say there is another 200 acres there. Finally the uncle I go ML hunting with has permission to hunt over a 1000 acres to hunt in various locations. We do a lot of drives down there so we need lots of places to go.

As for when I hunt, it all depends on if I get a deer or not. Last year I barely hunted at all because I got my buck on the second day of archery, a doe on the first day of rifle, and the shed antler buck on the third day of ML (first day I really hunted). What I plan to hunt each year is a lot different then that really lucky year last year. I plan to hunt every weekend of archery, plus about 3-4 evenings during the week, (can't play soccer due to injury so I have to find something to occupy my time), Then again during rifle, the first day plus two saturdays and maybe the second day depending on how things are going. Then when the last flintlock season rolls around after Christmas, I have about 10 days off from school, so I plan on hunting all of those and any evenings or weekends I need to fill my tags.

In addition to the deer hunting days, I am going bear hunting for the first time this year, and maybe elk if I draw a tag (crossing my fingers and toes) Then I also hunt rabbits, squirrels, turkeys, groundhogs, crows, and my girlfriend said she'd take my pheasent hunting for the first time this year.

All of this is done in NW PA. And the part I love......
$9--license
$16--bear stamp
$6--doe tag
$6--bonus doe tag (possible)
$10--elk drawing
$25--if drawn for elk tag (possible)

So if my math is correct....at least $41...up to $71..but thats all for all of that fun.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:12 AM

Start in bowhunting Oct. 1st, usualy hunt about 3 nights a week and during the weekends, shotgun hunt in later nov-early dec. Throw in some duck hunting in there and some spring turkey and thats my hunting. Sometimes get bored in Sept. and shoot squirrels and doves. All hunting is on the same 500 Acres of Private land, except for bird hunting
Old 07-13-2005, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

our camp can be any or all of september in the high country. can be as few as 3 or 4, or as many as 20 including family members, depending on who draws elk tags. we usually do all community meals, and either hunt alone or in pairs or 3's. just being in an "elk camp" is a pretty great thing in itself. month and a half to go.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:12 AM

I was brought into hunting by my dad and try to hunt with him &my brotherwhenever possible. He used to put my brother and I in a tree stand and go hunt another one. We used to get does walking around us all the time. I will never forget it. He nows says we looked funny as he watched us checking the deer out from his stand. We do not own land or a camp. Myfirst choiceis to hunt out of my friends camp in the Adirondacks. I bow hunt in the Southern Tier- Catt County on my dad's friends managed land of 300acres. Ifeel Ihave it pretty good seeing as I don't own any property. Now i just need more time to hunt!! Don't we all!
Old 07-13-2005, 11:20 AM

Well, I'm 43, have been hunting since a small child. During my 20 years in the Army, I managed to hunt in KY, WV, VA, TN, SC, and my home state of Florida.

While in WV, I made some really good friends who allowed me to hunt their private property, took several nice 8 points there. While in SC, got to hunt on Ft. Jackson which has some outstanding "Bow Only" areas, took some nice deer there, 6pt/8pt (My first buck via bow was a 6pt, hence my name Bowhntr6pt). I also located some really nice State areas in the Jackson/Putnam county areas in WV, sure miss hunting in WV in the fall (land owner passed away, farm sold, new owner said sorry but no more hunting).

TN was not productive for me, mainly because I traveled back to WV.

Since retirement from the Army and moving back to Florida, I have been limited to hunting public lands once again, but there are a few good ones here in Central Florida. I have 63 acres in Jefferson County that has held some really nice bucks. Now that I am home and settled in, my brother and I plan to get the food plots back on line as the went to hell after my father passed away.

Also plan to get back to 3-D shooting, made many friends doing that.

Quick Reply: A little about you & your camp...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.