Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Can i shoot these arrows that i want to >

Can i shoot these arrows that i want to

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Can i shoot these arrows that i want to

Old 07-11-2005, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Can i shoot these arrows that i want to

I will be shooting between 65-70 pounds with a 28 inch arrow. The bemean spine chart says i should be shooing 400 but i want to shoot the 340 for the little extra weight. Right now i shoot 100 grain tip. If i changed to a lighter tip will this help?

Thanks
Old 07-11-2005, 10:43 AM

Default RE: Can i shoot these arrows that i want to

if its stiffer, a heavier tip will lessent he spine. a smaller tip will give you more spine.

shoot them through paper - its the only way to really know as the 'charts" are just a place to start
Old 07-11-2005, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks... I had them backwards. I thought a lighter tip would give you less spine
Old 07-11-2005, 01:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

DM has you covered on the tip question but I would also offer that using an arrow whose spine is slightly too stiff is better than using one that is slightly too weak....at least I have found this to be the case from an accuracy perspective. Also, many hard drawing/hard cam bows tend to prefer a slightly stiffer spine than what many charts recommend. Something to consider.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:09 PM
Dominant Buck

The spine charts aren't the law by any means. I'm usually in the 67-70 pound range. I have about the same draw length but prefer to cut my arrows to about 29 inches I think they are. Anyway, I first went with the 400s because that's what the chart said. They shot fine as long as I had field tips on them. When I put on the fixed blade, 125 grain heads the groups went to heck in a handbasket real quick. They grouped about like a nerf football 6 inches low left. Got a couple 340s and it all came back together. I've been shooting the 340s for about 4 years now with great results and no problems. You're right on the edge of should I or shouldn't I. I will tell you a stiff shaft shoots much better than an underspined one.[8D] See if you can borrow a couple or just get 3 and experiment before committing to a dozen or two.[&:] I personnally like heavier arrows so really didn't care if I lost a couple fps just as long as they shoot and penetrate. I shoot 125 Thunderheads. If you go with the 400s you could probably keep going to a lower weighted head to get the flight you want. In my case I already had at least 2 dozen of the 125 Thunderheads... mostly new.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

So with the 340 the 125 tip would be the best?
Old 07-11-2005, 07:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Probably so. It was for me. I experimented with some different broadheads and weights. I tried the Muzzy 125, 115s also. I'm shooting 4 inch feathers which will change it all too. IF you're shooting long vanes it's a whole different animal. It's a package deal for sure. I'm also shooting a Muzzy Zero Effect which takes rest contact out of the equations, but in the beginning I had a prong type rest.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Instead of Beman's you could experiment with an aluminum arrow to see how it flies compared to a carbon (oops,hopefully this won't fuel the never ending "carbon vs alum" debate).

Butch A.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot 4 inch feathers. ANd a whisker Bisquit
Old 07-11-2005, 08:39 PM

I have beasman 340's that I have used for three years. the Archery Program tells me my bow is 8 lbs to light for those arrows. the bow doesn't care though as those arrows tune up and work just fine. I use 100 grain tips on them also. I also find the modern day bow will accdept a spine that is a bit to stiff.You should be fine with the 340's.

Quick Reply: Can i shoot these arrows that i want to

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.