Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Got my 1st Bow - Need Recommendations... >

Got my 1st Bow - Need Recommendations...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Got my 1st Bow - Need Recommendations...

Old 07-08-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Got my 1st Bow - Need Recommendations...

Hey All,

Just got my first bow and was needing some advice or opinions on everyones equipment for outfitting this bow. I know these are just everyone's prefrences but I need to know where to get started. Any idea on pricing would be great as well.

The bow is a Mathews LX

String: It currently has a Zebra string, was advised to get a new one, know some people who get new one each year

Rest: Was told that the Whisker Biscuit QS was the way to go

Sight: Have no idea

Release: Heard good things about Scott and Cobra?

String Silencers: Have no idea

Arrows: Was told that Beman ICS Hunter 400's were good

Heads: Muzzys? Steel Force?

Stabilizer: No Idea

Quiver: Kwikee?

Bow Case?

Any other ideas? Watch out deer woods, here I come.

Thanks to all who respond.

Kent
Old 07-08-2005, 03:19 PM

Default RE: Got my 1st Bow - Need Recommendations...

Congrats on the new bow. Accessories are mostly personal preference. Here is what I have.

Rest: Trophy Ridge DropZoneright now. I have used a Whisker Biscuit for the past three years.

Sight: Cobra Sidewinder 5 pin in Mystic Cammo

Release: Cobra and trueball

String silencers: I use the cat whiskers

Arrows: Carbon Express Terminator select 6075 with 4" NAP Quickspins

Broadheads: 100 gr 4 blade muzzy, Grim Reaper Trocar, Montec's

Stabilizer" 7" NAP Shockblocker

Quiver: Bohning

Bow case: Hard case from Walmart

Good luck in making your decisions. That is half the fun.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:20 PM

Holy cow, buddy. You are never gonna narrow it down here, just because if 15 people respond, you will get 15 different preferences. But,none the less, I will be the first to start.

If the string shows no sign of wear, no broken strands, nothing like that, don't worry about it.
Whisker biscuit is good, but occasionally needs a new biscuit. I would try one of the drop aways on the market, specifically the Trophy Ridge Drop Zone.
Sights, well, who knows? First, do you want multiple pins, a single pin mover, or a pendulum? Multiple pins, do you want verticle pins, or the traditional horizontal? I shoot the Cobra Easy Slide, and love it. There are plenty quality sights to choose from.
Release, Scott is good, Tru Ball is better, IMO.
You may not need string silencers, but if you do, cat whiskers work very well.
I shoot Beman ICS Hunter, only in a 340. Very good arrows. Can't go wrong there.
I also shoot Muzzy 4 blade, 100 grain. Awesome heads. I have a pack of Magnus Stingers on the way, though, they are even better I hear.
Stabilizer, try a Doinker.

The best advise I can give is to get yourself a catalog from Cabelas, or visit their website, or Bass Pro, and peruse the list. First, determine what money you are willing to spend. Then, go from there. Look at everything though, there isan aweful lot of quality equipment out there. The sky is the limit. Let us know what you decide on.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Rest: The WB is indeed a popular rest though I still tend to prefer highly adjustable conventional rests like the GKF Golden Premier.

Sight: Spott Hogg, Copper John or Cobra. All make excellent sights.

Arrows: Nothing wrong with the Bemans. I have been shooting them off and on for about 3 years now with good success.

Hope this helps somewhat.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

i can sell you a shock fin i believe its a 7inch stabilizer and an archers choise 3 pin for 30 bucks the sight was used for one season and the stabilizer was used for 2 seasons
Old 07-09-2005, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

My personal opinion...

If the string needs changing, do it. If not, wait until it does.
I like the Muzzy Zero Effect rest. WB would be my 2nd choice.
As far as sights, release, stab, etc....most all of that stuff is personal preference. I don't use a stab on my hunting bows. IMO it's not really neccessary. Your shots are relatively close, and IMO it just adds extra weight to the bow that I don't need.
Broadheads, I like fixed heads...Magnus is my 1st choice. Muzzy are excellent too.

The main thing you need to do is make sure the bow fits you properly, and that you get the bow set up correctly, and thatyour arrows are spined correctly with the brooadheads on straight.That is much more important than the accesories you get. Good luck
Old 07-09-2005, 06:57 AM
Typical Buck

I also have a Mathews LX. I used it last year to hunt and it was GREAT!!! As far as my setup, it is as follows.

String- Zebra (the one that came with it)

Rest- Whicker Biscuit (reccomend the QS)

Sight- Just the cheap $35 Cobra 3 pin (I removed all but one pin and sighted it in for 30yrd..then compensate for short range shots)

Release- I have a Tru-Fire (A buddy of mine has a Scott and loves it. I just didn't like the $85 price tag)

String Silencers- I don't have any since the LXhas them build in. I do however have Limbsavers and they do good with helpingto quiet it down.

Arrows- Cabelas Hunter Carbon 65/80 (IMO they are great for the money and work just as well as the $$$ arrows)

Heads- I go with 125 gr NAP Spitfires. I LOVE these heads. I just sight in with the field points and then screw on the heads. They are spot on and you don't have to adjust your sights. Plus it went right through a 200 Lbs deer's shoulder, lungs, top of heart.. then as it ran (30 yrds) the head bounced around and split the liver in half. They are super sharp!!!

Stabilizer- Don't use one for hunting. Just gets in the way and adds weight.

Quiver- Bohing Lynx 4 arrow. It's compact,goes on/off fast and quiet. Works well.

Bow Case- just the $25 hardcase from Cabelas. It's called a Pillarlock. Works good. I DO NOT reccomend a soft case for good quality bows like yours. You spent good money for the bow, spend a little extra for a hardcase, no matter what brand you choose.

You are going to love this bow.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:04 AM

QAD Ultra Rest
Cannot beat this drop away for hunting
Old 07-10-2005, 08:31 PM

I have a Buckmaster G2 (FYI)

Rest: Golden Key Fork style rest - I like it and it works just fine, Ive never used anything else so I cant really rate it.
Sight: Cobra Venom - I dont like the plastic pin guard and the stock pin diamiters are rather large.
Release: Trophy Hunter - I like the price, Tried a freinds Fletchhunter and really liked it, would definetely recomend that one.
String Silencers: Probobly no need for them with the new vibration reduction technology.
Arrows: ReadHead Carbon Fury (40$) - Junky arrows, but I am not good enough to be able to tell the difference.
Quiver: I never have my quiver on my bow. I just hang in from my treestand so it dosnt really make much difference for me.

You may notice I didnt adress some of the catagories, this means I have no use for the items myself and or I just dont know enough about the item to give any valuable advice.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

String... Zebra strings are made of fast flight material and IMHO are crap compared to the newer string materials on the market. Why Mathews still makes them is a mystery to me. I suggest changing the string and cable with a set made from the newer stuff like 452, 452X, ultra cam, TS1 and others. Depending on what you buy a set will run you $50 to $90.

Rest... The WB is a good rest but IMHO there are much better rests on the market. I absolutely recomend a drop away rest of your choosing. The drop zone is OK and is way over priced IMO. NAP makes a good quality drop away in their QT2000. IT runs about $45 and will do everything you need of it on a hunting rig. Other good drop aways would be the APA safari twister, trophy taker, and Cobra diamond back.

Sight... Montana Black Gold - dusk devil 2. I have used this one (older model) for the last year and it is simply awesome. A 100% unconditional lifetime guarantee is hard to beat as well. This one will be going on my new bow as well. About $60 - $85 depending on model.

Release... Tru Ball is top of the line, as is Scott, and Winn archery. Cobra and Tru Fire also have a few releases that compete very well with the other three. My personal choice would be a Winn Archery loop hook release. $35 on up. Don't go cheap here. Get the best you can afford.

String silencers... Cat whiskers but do not tie them around the string. Wrap them around the string with out breaking them up and then tie them in the middle. This way they will make a "puff" on the string and are much more effective. About $2.50

Arrows... I personally love Carbon Express CX's and Terminator selects. Beman/ Easton and Gold Tip carbons are good also but I have not has as good of results with them as I have Carbon Express. $85 for CX's and $60 for the terminator selects. Fletched with vanes.

Broadheads... Slick trick. IMHO they are about the best head made. $25 for three heads but worth the price. http://www.slicktrick.net/
There are many other good heads on the market also such as NAP, Muzzy, Magnus, Steel Force, and RAZOR CAPS.

Stabilizer... I really like the LORE stabilize that Carolina Archery Prioducts makes. It works well and only costs about $25 - $35 depending on the model you choose.

Quiver... If you got the money to spend the new quivers from Fuse Archery are very nice but they will set you back about $80+. Aside from that I really do not like any of them. They are all to short and made from plastic. Kwikie is as good, or bad, as any of them.

Bow case... The plane ole black cases form Plano or Flambeau are a super buy in bow cases. It only costs about $20 and will protect your bow very well.

Other ideas... Limb savers, wrist sling, stabilizer quick disconnect, sight window padding.

Quick Reply: Got my 1st Bow - Need Recommendations...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.