HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Got my 1st Bow - Need Recommendations...
Old 07-10-2005, 10:18 PM
bigbulls
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Got my 1st Bow - Need Recommendations...

String... Zebra strings are made of fast flight material and IMHO are crap compared to the newer string materials on the market. Why Mathews still makes them is a mystery to me. I suggest changing the string and cable with a set made from the newer stuff like 452, 452X, ultra cam, TS1 and others. Depending on what you buy a set will run you $50 to $90.

Rest... The WB is a good rest but IMHO there are much better rests on the market. I absolutely recomend a drop away rest of your choosing. The drop zone is OK and is way over priced IMO. NAP makes a good quality drop away in their QT2000. IT runs about $45 and will do everything you need of it on a hunting rig. Other good drop aways would be the APA safari twister, trophy taker, and Cobra diamond back.

Sight... Montana Black Gold - dusk devil 2. I have used this one (older model) for the last year and it is simply awesome. A 100% unconditional lifetime guarantee is hard to beat as well. This one will be going on my new bow as well. About $60 - $85 depending on model.

Release... Tru Ball is top of the line, as is Scott, and Winn archery. Cobra and Tru Fire also have a few releases that compete very well with the other three. My personal choice would be a Winn Archery loop hook release. $35 on up. Don't go cheap here. Get the best you can afford.

String silencers... Cat whiskers but do not tie them around the string. Wrap them around the string with out breaking them up and then tie them in the middle. This way they will make a "puff" on the string and are much more effective. About $2.50

Arrows... I personally love Carbon Express CX's and Terminator selects. Beman/ Easton and Gold Tip carbons are good also but I have not has as good of results with them as I have Carbon Express. $85 for CX's and $60 for the terminator selects. Fletched with vanes.

Broadheads... Slick trick. IMHO they are about the best head made. $25 for three heads but worth the price. http://www.slicktrick.net/
There are many other good heads on the market also such as NAP, Muzzy, Magnus, Steel Force, and RAZOR CAPS.

Stabilizer... I really like the LORE stabilize that Carolina Archery Prioducts makes. It works well and only costs about $25 - $35 depending on the model you choose.

Quiver... If you got the money to spend the new quivers from Fuse Archery are very nice but they will set you back about $80+. Aside from that I really do not like any of them. They are all to short and made from plastic. Kwikie is as good, or bad, as any of them.

Bow case... The plane ole black cases form Plano or Flambeau are a super buy in bow cases. It only costs about $20 and will protect your bow very well.

Other ideas... Limb savers, wrist sling, stabilizer quick disconnect, sight window padding.