Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's your opinion on Bushnell Yardage Pro Laser Rangefinder (Sport Model) >

What's your opinion on Bushnell Yardage Pro Laser Rangefinder (Sport Model)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's your opinion on Bushnell Yardage Pro Laser Rangefinder (Sport Model)

Old 07-01-2005, 01:51 PM

Default What's your opinion on Bushnell Yardage Pro Laser Rangefinder (Sport Model)

I'm looking to buy a good rangefinder but can't afford the top of the line models.The Scout sells for 150.00.I would be willing to spend up to 200 on a rangefinder.
Bushnells (Trophy) goes for 200.So doesn't Nikon's Lasor 440.
What one is the best for the price?Thanks for any help.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What's your opinion on Bushnell Yardage Pro Laser Rangefinder (Sport Model)

This is a copy paste from a post of mine in another thread.

I used the Bushnell sport last year and did not care for it at all. Here are a few reasons why.

It has a 4X power monocular that leaves much to be desired in clarity. A big problem Ihad is on ocassion the unit would not range at all. Which I couldn't quite figure out why. It only ranged when it wanted to. I also had issues with where they have the battery located at. It is on the corner of the unit right on the edge where you grasp it when you pull it out of the carrying case. On a few ocassions the battery cover would pop off all together while removing the range finder for use.

So, just the other day I bought the Nikon ProStaff 440.

It has a bunch of great features that many other mid priced rangefinders do not have.

1/2 yard accuracy withmuch higher quality opticsthat has an 8X lense. It has a "continuous tracking feature that allows ranging of multiple or moving targets" This feature is rather cool You can choose between yards or meters for the display. It also has a focus on the monocular to go along with all the basic features such as automatic shut off etc etc.

The Nikon is just better than the sport in all aspects all the way down to something as simple as having a snap on the carrying case instead of velcro. You also never have to worry about the battery, it is 100% secure unlike the sport.

Old 07-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What's your opinion on Bushnell Yardage Pro Laser Rangefinder (Sport Model)

I have the Sport model and would agree that the optical quality of the 4x monocular leaves alot to be desired though for most bowhunting ranges I have never considered it to be a serious concern. The only two real drawbacks that some folks comment on is the lack of multiple modes and its lack of waterproofness. Neither has really hindered me in any hunting situation over the last 3 years and I haven't found personal justification yet to purchase another.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:58 PM
Dominant Buck

I have a couple different yardage pros. One is the 400 and I have the Scout. Neither are the greatest. For $200 you can get the Nikon ProStaff 440. I paid more than that for the old 400 years ago.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the yardage pro , for what its supposed to do it works amazingly , but i only use it a few tiems a year , maybe to mark some spots around stands so ill know the range when deer come in , but you wont be using it like jackie bushman does , and stickin it on the deer as they walk in , at first i used it like that , but after spooking a feew buck , i decided to just use it minimally before the hunt started ....

As for low light conditions however FORGET IT! you cant see at dusk at all thru that thing , also the magnification stinks , but just to mark out points and for target shooting its a great toy!
Old 07-01-2005, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

a waste of $
Old 07-02-2005, 12:14 AM

I would save your money and buy a Leica. I have one of the Bushnell's I paid
$300.00 for and though it works o.k. I am not overly impressed with it.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:13 AM
Typical Buck

I've got one. Bought it at Walmart for about $180.

I like it. I use it all the time. On top of using it hunting, I use it to measure mowing jobs as well to give an accurate estimate.

I'd buy another one with out a second thought if I lost this one tomorrow.