Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 conviece me which brand to buy >

conviece me which brand to buy

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

conviece me which brand to buy

Old 06-29-2005, 10:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: conviece me which brand to buy

Your just going to have to try them all on for your personal best fit, or else you are buying someone elses "Fit" and opinion. Of the choices you mentioned I think I would pick a Hoyt Vtec. More DL adjustability without having to buy cams so It would likely be easier to deal the next time you get the itch to try something new.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: adear11

I would not even consider purchasing a bow without shooting several first. As I said above the reason I narrowed it to the three mentioned is because these are the brands the dealers near me deal in. If I don't like anything I find there I will look else where. I am just curiouse as to what y'all would look at if you were seriously in the market for a new bow. I did not mean to come across like I would go buy a bow based solely on word of mouth, or brand reputation.
I have found that one bow can be different from another even though they are the same because of the way they are set up. Go in with knowing what you want and let them give you bows that are set the way you want. Then see how each "feels'.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Out of the three that you mentioned, I'd say Hoyt. I had bad luck with Parker, and am not much into single cams. I have a cam and a half Darton and like it a lot. Hoyt is using something very similar and I believe is the only bow that you mentioned which is available in Deflex model. I'm not sure if you will be shooting over 300 FPS with it though, not sure why you'd make that a factor either.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:04 AM

With Me when I started out i wanted a fast and quiet bow i could have bought a 305fps bow but i liked a 292fps bow better
Old 06-30-2005, 08:27 AM

Try a few out, what works for me might not work for you.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think a lot of people realize how difficult it is to break the 300fps mark with a bow and how unnecessary it is for anything except for 3D. I am shooting a Patriot at 72 lbs and a 358 grain arrow (8 grains over ibo and warranty minimums) and a 29" draw and I am only shooting at 304fps. This is a bow that is rated at well over 315 IBO, and I only have a peep (no tube), loop, and tied in nock point on the string. The only reason I chose this bow is because I only had money for one bow that would be used for both 3D and hunting, and this was the best combination of the features I needed for both. If I wasn't attempting to be highly competitive at 3D, and was hunting only I probably would be shooting a bow that was around 280fps or less. That is plenty in the woods and would be much more forgiving.

With that said, I will be shooting GT 75/95 XT's that weigh in at around 430 grains with a 125 grain slick trick on them for hunting. They will probably only be going around 280fps.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:49 PM

I am not that concerned about shooting over 300 fps for hunting. I put that qualification on it because I am interested in shooting 3d competively, and I also have a small range setup behind my house, and I want to be able to make long shot (60+ yds) with some accuracy. In short, I just want a fast bow. Is that so wrong????

Old 06-30-2005, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know alot of people are into speed and I personally think it may help a little in determining the amount of pins you use. However, if the sole reason for speed is to be accurate at 60+ yards then you're looking at it all wrong. I have seen bows shooting very low speeds still shooting accurately out to 80 yards. As far as wanting a bow for both hunting and 3D I have to say I love my bowtech. It's quiet, fast and accurate. I hunt with it every year and shoot indoor and outdoor leagues with it in the off season. When I feel like having fun I'll shoot at one of my McKenzie targets at 100 yards and never hit outside the 8 ring. As Rick James said (LOL...those last four words just don't sound right) I get around 287 fps in my hunting setup but I shoot a pro 38 dually. I agree with everyone else. Shoot a bunch of different bows to see what feels best but I would take a real close look at the bowtechs (sorry...I just think they're one awesome bow)
Old 06-30-2005, 01:39 PM

I will agree with the above statement. Speed does not always equal accuracy. Now if you are trying to shoot out to 60 yards but estimating the range, then speed will help with judgement errors. Although I don't know how much at that range. As far as accuracy though, I have shot bows closer to 200 fps with heavier arrows pretty accurately at 70 yards and beyond. As long as you know the range and have sight settings for it speed does not matter.

I personally am very happy with around 230-245 FPS. If I could get a bow that shot faster I would most likely up my arrow weight until I fell back in that range. I'm not concerned with 3-D though and I don't stalk hunt. And as far as target shooting goes, I don't even concern myself with speed. I bet I was close to 200 fps shooting spots. However from what I understand with long distance shooting speed and weight are a consideration because of the wind.

Paul
Old 06-30-2005, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Is this your first bow?

Quick Reply: conviece me which brand to buy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.