Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 conviece me which brand to buy >

conviece me which brand to buy

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

conviece me which brand to buy

Old 06-29-2005, 05:18 PM

Default conviece me which brand to buy

I am considering buying a new bow before this season. I cant decide which brand to get before I even consider a particular model. I know everyone here has a favorte brand and will staunchly defend it. I have 3 particular brands in mind. Hoyt, Parker, and Mathews. There are two dealerships within 10 minutes of my house. One deals exclusively in Mathews and the other in only Hoyt and Parker. I want a bow that is fast and quiet. I would like it to be capable of, when setup for hunting, shooting over 300fps. Money is not a big concern but I would like to keept the price under $700 if I can. I will be using the arrows, rest, and site from my current bow so all I will have to buy is the bow itself. All opinions are welcome.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: conviece me which brand to buy

id say a hoyt vtec or xtec for the longer limbed and the shorter shorter ata a razortec i thinkits called god luck choosing i own a xtec and no problems except i cut my bow string..my fault
Old 06-29-2005, 05:40 PM

dont go on brand go on feel and pesonal preferences
Old 06-29-2005, 06:29 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: lte_622

dont go on brand go on feel and pesonal preferences
Very wise advice!!!

Try out other brands also, PSE has come out with the new Vengence and Venom bows, My wife bought the Venom and its Identacle to my Mathews outback.... and shoots just as good..
Old 06-29-2005, 06:33 PM

as mentioned don't buy on brand name all the names you mentioned are good bows you will here good and bad from them all. IMO the only way to buy a bow is to shoot them and pick the one that feels best in your hands not someone elses.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd recommend that you go to one or more dealers and shoot every bow that you're interested in from a variety of manufacturers before you decide. I prefer Bowtech over the others, and bought the Allegiance because it was the bow that I felt the most comfortable shooting.A bow is a very personal choice, and no one can tell youwhatbow is the best for you.One word of advice before you go test firing bows.Make sure that the bows you test are properly set up for your draw length.Ifound that as littleas 1/2" off was enough to dramatically change the'feel' of the bow.If the shopis worth its salt they will make adjustments for you so you can make a fair assessment ofeach bow you shoot.

Have fun and good luck,

Mike
Old 06-29-2005, 07:51 PM

How many of you are getting 300 fps in hunting trim?

Old 06-29-2005, 08:56 PM

I'm not very brand loyal either. There several bows I would not mind owning. They all have a bow I like. Just shoot a bunch and pick the one that feels the best in your hand and meets your budget. I have looked at Martin, Jennings, buckmaster, PSE, AR, Parker, Darton, Hoyt, Mathews, Alpine, Proline and I'm sure a few others I am forgetting. I own a darton, a bowtech, a Martin and my girlfriend has an Alpine. I wouldn't hesitate to own a Mathews, Hoyt, Parker or AR. I personally love the grips on the hoyts and bowtechs, however I have small hands.

I wouldn't mind owning a merlin either, I have seen one up close and looked at them on the net a lot. To me they are more like works of art then archery gear. A quality product without a doubt.

You really need to shoot them and see what you think for yourself. Honestly you could walk in spin around with your eyes closed and just grab one and do well for yourself though. As long is it fit you.

Paul
Old 06-29-2005, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

as previously said, go buy the best feeling bow. if possible, get 3' or so from the target (extend your bow arm and take 3 steps back from the target) keep your eyes closed, and let the dealer hand you bows and not tell you which is which.

That being said, I shoot a Hoyt Protec with Spiral cams.

71 lbs, 30" draw, 362 grain arrow at 303 fps.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:06 PM

I would not even consider purchasing a bow without shooting several first. As I said above the reason I narrowed it to the three mentioned is because these are the brands the dealers near me deal in. If I don't like anything I find there I will look else where. I am just curiouse as to what y'all would look at if you were seriously in the market for a new bow. I did not mean to come across like I would go buy a bow based solely on word of mouth, or brand reputation.

Quick Reply: conviece me which brand to buy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.