HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Learn to shoot around your peep site
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2005, 10:30 AM
stinkbelly

Default Learn to shoot around your peep site

I learned this about 5-6 years ago when I couldn't release on the biggest white tail I had ever seen. He had two drop tines. I had to let the bow down. He spooked. I have never seen him since. The next day I logged onto some web site and asked the qestion what to do if it is still legal shooting hours and you come to full draw but can't see through the peep. Besides all the sarcastic remarks I remembered one that said to lear (before the hunt) to shoot around the peep so that if this problem arises you will be prepared. I have a flat spot on the left side of my peep. I align the corect pin to the edge and center of the flat spot. This will not hit the same spot as looking through the peep. For me, this is accurate up to 30 yards. At 30 yards, I hit 8 inches left of the intended target. I just adjust for this before the shot. Ishoot 8 inches right. I have used this tactic twice while bow hunting. The first time I forgot to adjust. Luckily for me the deer was facing to my left and it passed harmlessly in front of him. The second one hit the mark and provided a 116 7/8 inch P&Y for the wall. At the time it was my biggest. I practice this by placing a very small piece of electrical tape in the peep hole. When you begin, put two targets side by side and shoot for the middle. This should ensure the arrow hits one of the targets.