Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Did you harvest the largest animal you had in bow range? >

Did you harvest the largest animal you had in bow range?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, I put the "horns" on the ground.
34.21%
No shot opportunity was presented.
55.26%
I blew it and missed.
7.89%
I wounded the animal and never recovered it.
2.63%
I wounded the animal and it was found at a later date.
0%
Not sure if it was the biggest I ever had in range or not?
0%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Did you harvest the largest animal you had in bow range?

Old 06-19-2005, 09:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Did you harvest the largest animal you had in bow range?

Did you harvest the biggest buck you ever had in bow range?

Please post pics if the answer is yes. It will make a good thread to look over with pics.

Most all have saw my pic from last year. Many probably don't want to see it again......but uhhh deal with it

Old 06-19-2005, 10:02 AM

Default RE: Did you harvest the largest animal you had in bow range?

This is the biggest I had in bow range and I missed the first shot. I watched him breed a doe at 30 yds ,when he got to my shooting lane I shot when he was walking. He stopped when I released and the arrow zipped about a 1/2 inch in front of him. He was so intent on breeding that he sniffed in front of him and walked up behind the doe again. The second arrow hit perfect and a short blood trail I was very happy. I got very lucky to get a second shot .
Old 06-19-2005, 10:48 AM

Hmmm, what would I check if I never had an animal in bow range? [:-]Well, I guess I'll click no shot was presented because she was behind some trees.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:19 AM

It was October 16, 2003 and my friends and I were constructing a camp here in Louisiana - the slab was poured, the frame was up and we were set to begin adding the walls / roof. We hunted each morning and sometimes in the evenings for that week and on that morning - the 16th - I missed a 4 point in the woods of the management area. Bummed, I told my friends that I had a good mind to go sit in the back of our property that evening and wait for the doe which we'd been seeing every night to come out.
After more work that day, we decided that we'd cook our meal for the night and let things quiet down and I got the go ahead to head to the back of the property to wait for the doe. (We named the doe 'Sally'). The back of the property was about 150 - 200 yds from the back frame of our camp, and was all high grass which eventually turned into woods. One of my friends broke out his video camera and wanted to try to just capture a deer on film. Before I headed out to await the doe's arrival, we made some funny little commercials as if we had sponsors - Mathews bows, Miller Lite beer, Blue Runner Red Beans..etc. Then, as I headed out, my friends sat on the 15 ftscaffold we had set up and began filming.
I sat on a folding chair with a toilet seat attached to it (you can guess what we used this for) - we called it the 'Crapmaster' - and carved me out a small hole in the grass with a little shooting lane. We had been throwing corn out for a while, so if the doe indeed came out I'd let it come to the corn so we could get good footage. The corn was about 20 yds from my postion.
Sure enough at 1815 I heard something in the grass and began calming my throbbing heart. For a couple of minutes nothing happened. Then, I saw the grass start moving and a head pop out. It was a spike and he was about 30 5 yds away. I sat there and kept glancing at my friends on the scaffold and I could see the camera manwas catching this on film. So I waited for him to come a little closer, but he wouldn't. It was getting dark, so I decided to take the shot. I concentrated so hard I thought I would pass out. But I let the arrow go and it found it's mark behind the shoulder - the deer fell in it's tracks and didn't move. Needless, to say I was elated - for this was my first deer with a bow AND IT WAS ON FILM!! WOOHOO!!

We kept watching the tape over and over again in disbelief that 3 coonasses actually caught a deer kill on film. You could hear my friend say, "He's down!! He got it!! There was another one in the grass, too!! But we were so thrilled with the kill that we never really payed that much attention to the deer in the back.

It was a week later that my Uncle had the copy of the CD and called me over. When I got to his house he and his son were sitting next to the TV with all the lights off ---- he didn't have to say a word, I could see the massive antlers hovering above the grass on the deer in the grass. (Probably 150 class).

Can you imagine getting your first bowkill on film, and also getting the buck of a lifetime hiding right behind it on film? Of course the 'what if's' were flying. But Ididn't see it and my friends didn't see it at the time of the kill.

Awesome. Maybe I'll get it another day. It's just great to have this captured on film and watch it every year to get pumped up!!

Oh, I had written on my feather before going out, the name 'Sally'. But beings it was a buck, I ripped off the 'Ly' and kept the 'Sal'.. Itnow known as the Sal Buck.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: zak123

Hmmm, what would I check if I never had an animal in bow range? [:-]Well, I guess I'll click no shot was presented because she was behind some trees.
yeah that's what i clicked. i've had plenty of deer within bow range while gun hunting. while i was bowhunting had a shot on a group of does but couldn't get my bow up. they were about 25 yards out all three of them looking at me.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:07 PM

This is my biggest. 35 yards out.

Old 06-19-2005, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Old 06-19-2005, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Short story-
big ten piont
ground blind
early morning
couldn't see through peep[:@]
I could see the deer just fine when not looking through the peep, I think the darkness on a ground blind really plays havoc with a peep.

been trying a no-peep this off season, I'm accurate after a few shots, just not consistant on the first shot[:'(]. Maybe a larger peep is the answer?
Old 06-19-2005, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

During bow I shot a big one but never recovered it. It was a great shot from 12yds. but he ended up going intothe water and then a thunderstorm from hell erupted. We were still recovery from the hurricanes.We spent days looking for him. It's still heartbreaking. I stopped counting points at 7. I think he was either a 8 or 9. I seriously thought about giving up bow huntin' but decided to chalk it up as a learning experience and try again. I did however manage to take a big 10pt. that dropped in his tracks a week later but that was with my muzzleloader.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ToopA- Great story!

There's a great hunting tip hidden in there- if a marginal buck shows up and offers a shot, but shows no sign in leaving, it never hurts to wait and see who will join him. Just like does, tha larger bucks usually hang back and see if the young ones are safe before advancing.

Congrats on your first kill, many of us have yet to get one on film.

Quick Reply: Did you harvest the largest animal you had in bow range?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.