Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Awsome night, some nice bucks! >

Awsome night, some nice bucks!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Awsome night, some nice bucks!

Old 06-12-2005, 07:26 PM

Default Awsome night, some nice bucks!

Hey guys,

This evening at about 7:45p.m. I decided to throw up my ground blind in my back yard and watch to see if any deer would come out into my food plot that I planted at the end of my back yard. It isn't anything great, just a 20 yard by 20 yard plot that I planted in some BioLogic. Well, when I first walked down there, a buck was already in the plot and he ran off. I thought that I blew it but I decided to set it up and watch anyways. Well, around 8:20 I saw a deer comming through the woods. A nice little buck started his way out followed by a really nice buck. They came into the plot and were feeding when I saw another deer comming. The first buck that walked out looked like a decent 2-1/2 year old. He already had a little spread showing, no main beam formation yet but he looks like he has some potential. The second buck that came out shocked me. He already had beams starting (they didn't start curving yet) and they were already out past his ears! I think that this is a buck that I got on my game cam last year that looked to be about a 18" wide 8 point. He looks like he is a 3-1/2 year old deer this year. Well, the third buck that came out had maybe 4" spikes. I am pretty sure that these three bucks are the group of 3 that I saw back in Jan. feeding in my plot. In Jan. one was the 8 point, another was a 6, and the smallest was a spike.

They were there for about 20 minutes and I saw them all three lift their heads and look towards and old trolly line that runs into my yard. Sure enough, two more little bucks came out. They started working their way through my yard towards the corner that I planted when the big one that was already feeding chased them off.

Finally, the bucks all left about 8:50p.m. and a few minutes later 3 doe worked out of my woods and into the plot. They didn't stay around long.

It just goes to show that you don't have to spend alot of money or time to help out your deer. The area I planted was grown up with brush last year. I chopped it down by hand then took my lawn tractor and put chains on the tires. I just ran over the plot doing dough-nuts until I had ripped the ground up. Put on a couple bags of PH Fertilizer and spread the seed!
Old 06-12-2005, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Awsome night, some nice bucks!

Sounds like your plot will be eaten up by next week. Allmost time for some more doughnuts and some more seed. Sounds like you have a blast in your little plot. Great to hear you have so many deer in your back yard.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Buck,
[color=#00FFFF]What blend of seed did you use--can you remember.
I know you mentioned 'Biologic" but the blend---eg.
Premium Perennial, Clover Plus, Maximum, Full Draw, Green patch--or Bio mass?
[/color]
Sounds like you should use the Plot Saver tape around the plot just to get the crop growing properly--then let the deer enjoy!
Old 06-12-2005, 11:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

This thread is useless without pictures.. [:-]

Cool deal!
Old 06-12-2005, 11:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Old 06-13-2005, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

Wait a minute...I thought that there weren't any deer left in PA!? . I've been seeing a few bucks around my house here in NY too. There's been a bachelor group of 5 bucks thats been feeding in an alfalfa field just down the road every night. Looks like 3 yearlings, a 2 yr. old and a 3 yr. old. The 3 yr. old looks like he's gonna be a pretty good one and is currently a 6-pt. with around an 18" spread. Man, I can't believe how quickly his antlers are growing...last Tuesday all he had were browtines and beams that came out past the tips of his ears and he was just beginning to knob out into G2's on the ends. I saw him last night and he's already got about 3" G-2's and another 3-4" of mainbeam after that. He should be at least a good 8-pt when's he's done growing. Other than that, I've seen a few 2 yr. olds around here and there but the older age class bucks haven't started surfacing yet. Based on last season's pathetic deer harvest in these parts...I just know that there will be some real beauties running around this year. I can't wait for the end of July to get here so I can start spotlighting and videoing some big ole velvet bucks. Good luck with your Biologic plot...hopefully it will pack some extra inches onto your bucks.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cool! Sounds like fun!
Old 06-13-2005, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

what kind of biologic was you using?
Old 06-13-2005, 04:14 PM

Hey guys, the plot is a mixture of Green Patch and Clover Plus! It grows up great and has been one of the few seed mixtures that the deer can't seem to destroy. This stuff grows back so fast that it isn't funny. I have already mowed the plot once this year as the wheat/oats were about waist high!

Tommorrow I am gonna put some film in my game cameras and set them up on the plot. I sold my digital camera and the other one that I have has only a 4X zoom or else I would have pics already.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice, just show them when you got them.

Quick Reply: Awsome night, some nice bucks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.