Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Nightmare

Old 09-19-2002, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default Nightmare

Well, probably my worst nightmare concerning hunting has come true. I lost a doe on Tuesday night. I feel terrible, I take full responsibility for what I caused, and I won't be hunting the rest of this season. Had a good broadside shot at 23 yards so all I can attribute this to is myself. I believe that I hit too far back, but still in the ribs. Spent all night Tuesday looking and about 5 hours yesterday. I finally found the arrow yesterday very far uphill from where I originally shot. Arrow appears to only have penetrated about 6 inches and the broadhead shows no sign of encountering bone. I can't fix what happened this year, but what do I do to increase penetration with my set-up? This year I was shooting 47# with a Muzzy 3 blade 75 Gr. tip. I also shoot GT 5575's which I will be changing next year. Please give me some advice and I really hope that this doesn't happen to anyone else!!!

Old 09-19-2002, 11:48 AM

Default RE: Nightmare

First of all, what is this business about not hunting again this season? You get back out there and redeem yourself. Don't let this get you down. We've all made bad shots and that is part of hunting. I once made a bad shot on P&Y buck at 20 yds. He was quartering away and I aimed too far back. The exit hole only caught the back of one lung. I searched for that deer all day long for a week straight. Never found him. I was very depressed. P&Y bucks are very uncommon here and I thought about that hunt everyday for about 3yrs. Anyway, I know how you feel, but do not let that get in your way of bowhunting. Go back out there and get after them.

As far has your setup, I think you have plenty enough power to punch through a deer with a well placed shot. The only question I would ask is how are your arrows flying? Is your bow well tuned. A poorly tuned arrow can lose a tremendous amount of penetration. Go to a pro shop and have them check your tuning. And once again, get back out there and do your thing!!!

Hunt the thickets
Old 09-19-2002, 11:53 AM

I agree that you should get back out there and keep going. Everyone makes a mistake and sometimes it stings for awhile but that doesn't mean you should quit.

I think you set up is good for deer it all comes down to shot placement. You might check your bow for tuning to help.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:14 PM
ck
Fork Horn

Hey Lady, Like everybody else said, if you hunt long enough, it's going to happen. It feels bad until the big boy comes strolling in then for a time it's all forgoten.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

What! not hunting for the rest of the season,no no no that is not the right attude, so you could not find the doe you gave it your best shot ok, but that is a part of hunting.It mite still be alive, maybe not, but the yotes have to eat too.Its all part of a learning prosses, get past it and get your butt out into the woods and hunt.I do know what you are going through and so dose the rest of the board.I am sorry but giving up now is not going to fix things.So take the advice we are giving you and get back on that treestand and feel good about yourself for you are a bowhunter and a lady bowhunter at that.Now go do it..... Texas Tracker

Old 09-19-2002, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Lady, like the others said it happens. You just need to get back up on that horse and try again. I would check your setup as belle suggested to make sure it is tuned. Otherwise, it sounds like your set up has plenty of punch to take a deer. Remember, there are guys out there that take deer with 50# stickbows. So, make sure everything is on the up and up and get back out there!
Old 09-19-2002, 01:23 PM

Lady Arwen,
Almost anyone and everyone who has spent much time bowhunting can relate to your circumstances, and to the feelings you are experiencing right now. Speaking solely for myself, I've been there.
Pulling your stands, and quitting the hunt for the year is a place I've been too. I will tell you the same as the others, go back out hunting, when you are ready. You shouldn't just forget this incident, and by your post, I know you aren't going to, but you need to turn the negative into a positive. You can't change what happened, and all the self a$$ kicking you do wont help a bit either, although you will still do a lot of it, it comes with the territory of being a caring, ethical person and hunter. Contemplate the things that might have gone wrong this time, and work on correcting those things, whether it's more practice, more patience, shorter shots, whatever. You will be the best judge of that. And even when you swear you've done everything in your ability to make the best shot, sometimes things go wrong. I'm not suggesting anyone should just shrug their shoulders and say "oh well", better luck next time, but beating yourself up does no good either. A friend told me once in this situation, you need to find a way to put it behind you, but learn from it. Don't quit, dont give up. Take a few days off maybe, shoot a few targets again to restore your faith in yourself and your equipment, then go back to the woods. Good luck to you.
Old 09-19-2002, 01:25 PM

Lady,

It happens to the best of us. You will get over it and use it as a learning experiance.

If you knew the shot was to far back, you should not of tracked it that night. You would of been better off waiting till the mourning to start on the trail. It can be a tough night of sleep but your odds of recovery might of been much better.

Your setup sounds great, I wouldn't change it over this one shot.
Old 09-19-2002, 01:34 PM

Rack-Attack had a good point, once a deer is injured severely, it will usually lay down once it doesn't feel threatened. Having it lay down means it stays closer to the area where it was shot, which increases it's chances of being found if it expires over night.

If the shot was far back with less-than-optimal penetration, best to do some initial markings in the hit area, denote the path the deer ran, and let it be for several hours, perhaps overnight.

Bad shots happen. Learn from your experience and get back out there and hunt! Oftentimes we learn MUCH more from the mistakes, than from the victories.
Old 09-19-2002, 01:40 PM

Lady,
I second (or third) EVERYTHING said already! Go back and keep at it!
Learn from your mistake and wiork very hard at not making the same one again.
Tracking game is an art form that you can only learn well by doing it.

Good Luck the rest of the season!

Greg

"Getting close to the game is the joy of Bowhunting for me, the harvest is a bonus."

Live 15 ft Python after eating a small Antelope!

Quick Reply: Nightmare

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.