Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Are all outfitters this bad?(My dream hunt, Ha!) >

Are all outfitters this bad?(My dream hunt, Ha!)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are all outfitters this bad?(My dream hunt, Ha!)

Old 09-18-2002, 11:33 AM

Default Are all outfitters this bad?(My dream hunt, Ha!)

Well,I won't ever do that again. Are all outfitters there just for the money? My outfitter no more worried about me than he did about the other 13 guys in camp( yes I said 13)and he had probly twice that many the weeks before us. This was my first and last elk hunt. If this is what elk hunting is,I'm throygh with it. My outfitter set me in a park to ambush some elk for the evening while I was there 11 of the 13 guys in camp rode past me talking and laughing right up till dark. The guide that I paided so dearly for not only was a chain smoker but was getting over a cold and had a chronic cough that he couldn't stop. And when we did hear an bull bugle he won't go to it because he had other hunters in that area. Out of a ten hour day we hunted four hours and rode for 6 he said he just wanted us to see some of the country.
There was no archery targets at camp to check bows, we found out that one of the guides had never even shot and elk before and didn't even like hunting. I was told you can't worry about scent control or even camo wasn't important. That was all stuff for the video market. My hunting partner was hit up for and extra $150 because they said they had trouble with their record keeping. So like the dumb nice guy he is he paid it just so we wouldn't spoil the rest of the hunt. Guy's I could go on and on but I won't. We pulled our guide aside and exspressed our concerns and the only thing he could and did say was"it will be better tomorrow" well tomorrow never came my hunting buddy who I rode there with got mad and we left after the frist day hunting. So my dream hunt that I booked last year is over. I know what you are thinking he should have checked these folks out--I did! with the references they gave me, with DOW, and talking to them for year before we hunted them. So if this is what outfitters are I don't need them and if are any good honest outfitters out there I'm sorry these guy's are making you look bad.Well me being a famliy man and working just to keep the ends together I don't guess I be able to afford some thing lkie this again.But if any body else wants to use Bryce Outfitters I wouln't do it. Trust me gang you've only heard 1/2 the story.

Edited by - scottsman on 09/18/2002 18:15:18
Old 09-18-2002, 11:49 AM

Default RE: Are all outfitters this bad?(My dream hunt, Ha!)

scottsman,
I can comiserate with you. My last hunt in Colorado, Private land, Large Resident herd....... Well I saw 0 elk. a nice Mule deer, a cow moose at 15 yards(No moose tag) ... and on and on! Checked referances, called past clients, checked DNR same thing.
My first hunt in Montana was wonerful! I had a 5x5 10 yards behind me but couldn't get turned around for the shot and had a 6x6 with 2 cows at about 100 but he wouldn't leave them. If I could have gotten 15 yards closer....

Don't give up and don't dispare. Keep looking around and asking questions and recommendations of outfitteres here and on the other boards. Save your money and plan the next one.

Me, I love Elk but living in Ohio it is going to be a while till I get to go again. In the mean time I discovered Africa! The cost is close to what a nice 7 day guided Elk hunt costs and LOTS more opportunities! I have had shots at Nyala(a beutiful spiral horned Antelope) and Wildebeast. Almost got steped on by a Red Duiker(very small antelope) and had Zebra, Impala, Monkeys, and a number of other antelope all around me.

Good Luck and keep looking and asking questions

Greg

"Getting close to the game is the joy of Bowhunting for me, the harvest is a bonus."

Live 15 ft Python after eating a small Antelope!
Old 09-18-2002, 12:38 PM

Sorry but it's like lots of businesses and worse than some. My first experience was a guy who guided me in NM. Got there and he had a pup tent and very little food. Had never hunted the unit but had scouted it. Was not a licensed outfitter either. Buddy and I paid a lot of money and luckily we brought our tent, heater, shower and enough food for an army. He did get us on animals and was a good hunter so between us all it turned out fine. Second trip was a bear hunt in Idaho. Camp turned out to be an ancient 5th wheel, real dirty and lots of bear and mountain lion for dinner. Didn't shower for 7 days! Again did get bear, did take lots of food we bought and thankfully a ton of beer 'cause that tough little bastard could drink. I would NOT book an outfitter trip again unless I had a personal acquaintance who had actually done the hunt. The best BSers in the world are con men who want your money and these people show up in the hunting world like all others. Better luck next time.
Old 09-19-2002, 05:05 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-19-2002, 05:58 AM

too much public land out west to hire an outfitter. It would be cheaper to add two days to your trip to scout than to hire an outfitter. Thats just my $.02, but I have hunted a lot of land that I have never been on before...I just don't see a need for an outfitter. I know in AK you are required to hunt with a guide until you have lived there for one year, do any other states have that law?

Sorry to hear about your wasted hunt, I hope you get another chance at elk hunting again.
Old 09-19-2002, 06:07 AM

YOU KNOW I REALLY FEEL BAD FOR YOU. I AM IN THE PROCESS OF PLANNING MY ULTIMATE HUNT AND HAVE MANY OF THE SAME CONCERNS.

I JUST WISH THERE WAS SOMETHING WE AS HUNTERS COULD DO TO ELIMINATE THIS PROBLEM. THOSE OS YOU WHO HAVE USED GREAT OUTIFFITERS SHOULD LET US KNOW ABOUT THE GOOD ONES.

ONCE AGAIN SORRY FOR YOUR EXPERIENCE BUT JUST DONT GIVE UP.

HUNT ON HUNT HARD EAT WELL
Old 09-19-2002, 06:33 AM

Moderators.
Can another section be added to these forums called hunting reports?
I know the issues involved however there is just this type of section on another forum and as long as the reports arn't flames(which they are not) it serves as a valuable resource to researching guides and outfitters as there can be any numer of folks disappointed or estatic about any or everything related to the hunt.

If you wish I can post the link to the other forum but I won't unless directed by a moderator. Not trying to direct traffic away from this board!
Thanks

Greg

"Getting close to the game is the joy of Bowhunting for me, the harvest is a bonus."

Live 15 ft Python after eating a small Antelope!
Old 09-19-2002, 06:52 AM

whackmaster who is the outfitter I am considering going in a year or two
Old 09-19-2002, 10:07 AM

Wow! sorry to hear about the bad trip. Just want to clarify Anthony Hunter statement. In Alaska a non-resident requires a guide for Brown bear, Sheep, and Goat only. All the other game it is not. I think if I was going to book a hunt I might look at the swap a hunt in the home page of this board. Just a thought. Again sorry to hear Scottsman. Maybe some day you can share the other half of the story.
Old 09-19-2002, 01:44 PM

The reason I only told you half of the story is because it's just to much for this space. And also just to keep from sounding like a cry baby. But I think there ought to be a place to get a non-bais opion on these outfitters,I think it would help the whole industry. You know like a outfitters rating service,what do you think? And as far as not using and outfitter, it's the first time I've ever hunted elk. Trust me I would attempt to play football with out at least watching one game. Everybody's got to learn some where. Thank's guy's for the advice.

Quick Reply: Are all outfitters this bad?(My dream hunt, Ha!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.