Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Best entry bow for Africa?? >

Best entry bow for Africa??

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Best entry bow for Africa??

Old 04-13-2005, 04:29 AM

Default Best entry bow for Africa??

Im from South Africa and am interested in starting bow hunting. The range in SA is limited and I have decided to buy on off the net. I need a bow that is dependable, will match my budget and is capable of hunting medium size African game i.e. impala, kudu, wilderbeest etc.

I have looked around on the net and am thinking of either:

Reflex Grizzly
Martin Jaguar Mag

From what I can see these are both entry level bows but seem to pack enough power.

Questions:

1. Which of these bows will be best and will it do the job?
2. Are there better bows in the same price range which I have missed?
3. Which is the most reliable/best priced online store?

Any help will be much appreciated!
Old 04-13-2005, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best entry bow for Africa??

Ziegler,

The cool thing about your question is I used to own a Martin Jag. And now I own a Reflex Grizzley.. I killed 5 elk with my Martin and a few nice mulies too. It was a good bow. I think I am more pleased with the Reflex Grizzley though. It has way less noise and vibration and got a great review from outdoorlife! IMO, I think you would be better off with the Reflex. I have been ordering my stuff from ArcheryExperts.com and I am really please with them. If you have ?'s the will gladly answer them and the even sent me a autographed picture! Hope this helps to get you pointed in the right direction!
Old 04-13-2005, 07:46 PM

Both good bows as muliefever said for the price range. and I own both honestly its hard to tell you which one to get they both have their good points. for instance the reflex has a much smoother draw due to the slam 1/2 cams. but the when compared side by side the martin isn't as noisy both seem comparable in vibration with again the martin has alittle less. Also the reflex is 38"ata and the martin 32"ata The Martin is lighter then the grizzly. also I prefer the solid limbs compared to the split limb. I guess from what I said I like My martin jag mag better than my grizzly but don't get me wrong the grizz is a super bow so I know you will be very happy with either bow. by the way bow bows are the 2005 models
Old 04-13-2005, 08:25 PM

bowtech a freind of mine just got back from africa last fall. he took a kudu, impala, warthog and a baboon. he blew his arrow completely threw all 4 animals using a 2003 bowtech patriot 70lb draw weight.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:36 PM

Ziegler, If your like me and do not feel the need or just don't want to spend over $1000 to get setup with a bowtech either of the two bows that you asked about will do the same thing the bowtech will do!
Old 04-16-2005, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you don't have an archery pro shop in your area, then it would be an advantage to get a bow that has adjustable draw length. The reflex will do that, not sure about the Martin. I personally like the Darton CPS cams, and the Vapor would be in the same price range. Hoyt's Ultramag or Ultrasport would be an improved version of the Reflex Grizzly, with a slimmer grip. The new Diamond by Bowtech bows are very nice looking, good shooting bows with excellent features for less $ than the upper end Bowtechs, but their Tomcat package is a very good bow for the money too. The Dartons and Hoyts have rotating modules for draw length adjustment, which is a nice feature. The bowtechs use interchangeable modules for different draws. It is hard to go really wrong with any of them. Heck, I just bought an old Diamond Odyssey carbon riser bow from an Ebay deal. It cost me less than $100, and it shoots every bit as well as any bow I've owned, especially at 30 yards and less, where my hunting shots are.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:25 AM

Hey Ziegler
Not sure which part of Sa you are in, but as a Bowtech fan, I would suggest giving Juan Oosthuizen a call from The Bowshop in Moroletta Park, Pretoria. They have a package deal on a Bowtech Tomkat for R4500,00 all inclusive. Everything you need to hunt right out of the box. I bought one last November and shoot 3D with it.
Either way, he is a good place to start. In Cape Town the guy to speak to is Mark Heroldt of Guns n Bows in Bellville.
Hope this helps.