Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Ted Nugent?

Old 04-05-2005, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ted Nugent?

ORIGINAL: Muliefever

Alright I'll look into those as well!!

Have you taken advantage of their calculators. Their FOC calculator is very good at helping build your arrows. It may just be that your tip is to heavy. I also just bought some 7595, but havent tried them yet. I was having some tuning problems with the 5575 but since taking gold tips calculations the problem is gone. I havn't checked yet but I wonder if anyone has come out with an archers calculator. Seems they have one for every other form of math.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

So are you recommending that I go with the 7595's?
Old 04-06-2005, 06:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

So are you recommending that I go with the 7595's?

I would make sure your 5575 is around 10 foc and then try and tune the bow. I was shooting an aroow that was 28.5 long @8 gr. per inch with 3 3" feathers and a 125 head. My foc was way off some where around 15+. I like feathers but with this head weight it made the arrow way to front heavy and caused the head to drop sooner than it should. It also was causing me to move the rest to far to the right. The fix was to replace the feathers with 5' vanes adding around 28.5 grns to the rear end and reduce the head to 100. I can use a 85 grn head with the feathers and have a foc just under 12 but I'd rather shoot for 10. Problem of tuning gone. The 7595 is a bit heaver @8.9 and because of that I can use my 3" feathers with a 85 grn. head and have a foc of close to 10. They also are the pro shaft, a step up from the ones I'm using.

BTW my bow is also a 70#. It does have a long brace of 8 1/8 which may have some effect on spine

Am I recommending the 7595. That's like asking a kid if they want another piece of candy.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey thanx Nodog. That's the first real explanation that I have recieved. I understand now what I need to do. I also will be shooting a 100 BH. So I guess arrows are just a case by case kind of thing huh.. But, now I know... Thanks again.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

So I guess arrows are just a case by case kind of thing huh.. But, now I know... Thanks again.

They really are. Here's the gold tip link.
http://www.goldtip.com/calculators/foc.asp
Old 04-08-2005, 02:33 PM

According to the FOC calculator, I'm around the 10.5 mark with the 5575's.

The arrows would fly great for targets, but I had problems getting BH"s to tune. I could only get the BH's to come within 2" to the right of the FP's at 20 yards. After reading many of the other posts on this board, I am convinced that I should be able to get both of them to be hitting in EXACTLY the same spot.

I haven't tried to tune the 7595's yet, but it did seem that I was just slightly underspined.

I wonder if this has to do with the bow/cam?

My friend is shooting a longer GT 5575 at 74# from his Mighty Mite, and we could get them to tune perfectly. They were hitting exactly the same out to 60 yds.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: WA Shooter

According to the FOC calculator, I'm around the 10.5 mark with the 5575's.

The arrows would fly great for targets, but I had problems getting BH"s to tune. I could only get the BH's to come within 2" to the right of the FP's at 20 yards. After reading many of the other posts on this board, I am convinced that I should be able to get both of them to be hitting in EXACTLY the same spot.

I haven't tried to tune the 7595's yet, but it did seem that I was just slightly underspined.

I wonder if this has to do with the bow/cam?

My friend is shooting a longer GT 5575 at 74# from his Mighty Mite, and we could get them to tune perfectly. They were hitting exactly the same out to 60 yds.

Well it sounds like your part of the way there. Unless there is something wrong with the arrows it's's not them. If you paper tune at 6,10 and 15 ft. and it is tearing good holes then they should fly right, but even then it just takes some tinkering. Some just tune to the bh and let it go. When this happens vibration, noise and loss of speed is happening even if it's just a small amount. How much can a person get out of a setup? We'll never know if we settle.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool thanks for the info. I will be shooting 68# So I think I should be fine.. According to the FOC calculator for the best results I should shoot a 85 gr, broadhead.. with a 30" arrow.. But that makes me nervous.. Is that broadhead going to be acceptable for elk? I have always used 100 gr.. And they work well. So I am actually kind of in a stump! I am not sure what to do!
Old 04-08-2005, 11:58 PM

I can understand being concerned about the 85's, but I think I would be looking at the cutting diameter. What did the FOC calculator say if you went to the 100 gr. heads? Was thee much difference? I'm making the switch this year to either the Slick Tricks or Sonics, haven't decided yet, but definitely the 100's for me. I'm hoping for a little easier time in tuning. They kill elk with mechanicals, which I don't think I would personally use, but I can't see where the 85's wouldn't do the trick.

NODOG,
I spent hours with the GT's and eventually ended up switching back to the 2413 aluminums 5 days before leaving for elk camp. I tried every trick in the book to get the GT's to hit the same spot, and I consider myself to be a fair hand at tuning. I'll be trying it again this year with a new BH, and am hoping that by using one of the smaller styles it will work better. I had followed all the basics of shooting paper and had bullet holes, the BH's were about 6" right so I went on to rest adjustments to group them up. THe closest I could ever get was 2" at 20 yds. Not perfect, not acceptable. I'll be trying 5575's with smaller BH's 'cause I have 3 dozen cut and ready, and some 7595's that I picked up from a friend. We'll see.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Cool thanks for the info. I will be shooting 68# So I think I should be fine.. According to the FOC calculator for the best results I should shoot a 85 gr, broadhead.. with a 30" arrow.. But that makes me nervous.. Is that broadhead going to be acceptable for elk? I have always used 100 gr.. And they work well. So I am actually kind of in a stump! I am not sure what to do!
One of the things that gold tip calculator showed me was that a head is not as it appears. The insert makes it 15 grns heaver so a 85 head is actually 100. Did you see this other calculator?

http://www.goldtip.com/calculators/kinetic.asp

There's been a good discussion in the technical forum about this subject which didn't answer it well but if this calculator is correct you should be fine like W A commented. He brought up a good point. One shaft may shoot better than another. If there was a machine that could show a 3d picture of an arrow in it's flight path we would have it made.