Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 What size stabalizer do you use for hunting >

What size stabalizer do you use for hunting

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

What size stabalizer do you use for hunting

Old 03-28-2005, 12:15 AM

Default What size stabalizer do you use for hunting

I currently have a (Hoyt) doinker 5" weighs 12oz. It is a nice size for moving through woods. But used a friends that was several inches longer and heavier and could tell a big difference in the weight on the front of bow. Seems good for stabalizing though is a little bit heavy and big. Was wondering what other hunters use and how important you guys find them to be.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What size stabalizer do you use for hunting

I'm trying out a stabilizer made by LimbSaver (S coil series) it's about 7 inches and weighs about 6 oz, this is my first one to use on my new Parker and so far it's been better than not having one at all,does a great job at eliminationg most of the shock and bow jump.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I recommend a quality 10" to 12" stabilizer that has a solid mount to the bow. I shoot a Hi-tec, Accu-flite stabilizer. This is an 11" stabilizer with 1" - 1 1/2 ounce weight attached to the end. Newer models on the market that I would suggest are the Stealth, NAP Shockblocker, Lore and Vibracheck Strikewave. A stabilizer is just that, to stabilize and balance your bow resulting in a steady bow hand and sight picture. Many of the stabilizer manufacturers today are much too short with their emphasis on vibration and or sound deadening. If you match and tune your equipment, this type of stabilizer is not needed. Most of the deadening/vibration dampening stabilizers are constructed with rubber joints or attachments and rubber is affected dramatically by temperature change. Experiment with a few quality stabilizers at a pro shop and get the opinion from shooters you meet at 3-D or target events.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Been thinking of trying this stabalizer. I'm going to start hanging a weight off of the bow, slowly increasing the weight as it gets easier. I figure that just before the season starts I should be as steady as a rock. This works in a lot of sports and I don't see why it wouldn't work here.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

nodog your right on the money. The longer the stabilizer the less weight you need to add to the end to balance your bow. A short stabilizer, with all the mass weight at the riser will do little other than to add mass weight. A rigid stabilizer 10" to 12" with little weight at the tip will balance your bow and steady your sighting.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:03 AM

I've got an old hoyt with the three holes thorough it. It's about 8 inches long and pretty darn heavy. I shot several and this old one felt best to me so I bought it. I'm getting ready to mak it about an inch longer with a rubber bumper in the middle I think hi-tech makes the bumper.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ahso, a longer stabilizer is always better if your concern is accuracy. As stated by several others a short stabilizer is nothing more than mass weight added and does little in the way of stabilization. Why do you think target archers use long ones? For accuracy, of course. Now I have to admit they aren't very practical for hunting but there is nothing wrong with 10-12", which is what I use. And it you can't get that through the brush how do you get you and all your other gear through? Surely 5" or so more won't make that much difference.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:03 PM

i use an 8 inch now. used to use the 4 inch doinker, now that i have made the switch i don't think i'll use any stabalizer unless it is at lest 8"
Old 03-29-2005, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Last season i used the 6" Stealth ,but this season I have the 8" Stealth ,I eas very surprised with just how well I like the 8" and don't think I'll change ,it did add some what of a steadier bowarm and just plain felt better than the 6" .

nubo
Old 03-29-2005, 10:38 PM

Thanks for your suggestions. I went out and bought a 10" multi rod doinker. The weight does not seem to be to much to carry hunting and turned out to give me a nice stable shot. Thanks again it doesn't make much sense tho have a real short real heavy stabalizer it kind of defeats the purpose, just makes heavier.

Quick Reply: What size stabalizer do you use for hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.