Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
Recommended Broadhead for bear >

Recommended Broadhead for bear

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Recommended Broadhead for bear

Old 08-22-2002, 12:49 AM

Default Recommended Broadhead for bear

I am new to hunting with bows and I will be hunting black bear with a Barnett Rhino Sport Magnum crossbow. The listed FPS for the bow is 310. The area I will be hunting in is covered with heavy brush, so I would really like to drop the bear as quickly as possible to avoid having to track it through dense brush.

After the bear hunt, I will also try to take a deer in the same area.

What broadheads would you recommend as suitable for the job?

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2002, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Recommended Broadhead for bear

Muzzy heads are excellent, as are the Rocky titainium heads. Magnus Snuffers are great, but you may have trouble getting them to fly from a crossbow. Crosbows tend to me harder to get good broadhead flight from. You may also want to look at some differnt mechanical heads. The new archery products Shockwave is a great one, as well as the Rocky Snypers. Remember though, shot placement is far more important that the specific broadhead used. I would also add that for quick kills don't shoot any broadhead at game unless the blades are shaving sharp.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 08-22-2002, 08:29 AM

I would take a look at the slick trick heads www.slicktrick.net Before I switched to these heads my broadheads were about 2 inches low from my field points. The slick tricks group with my field points now even to 40 yards. I don't shoot the 310 FPS like you are but you might want to give these a try with the higher speeds you are shooting. Of course I will defer to 5 shot on any broad head selection with his extensive testing. I'm going to use them starting Sep. 1 on some bears in MN. I'll let you know how well they work.

Old 08-22-2002, 10:07 AM

first off good luck on your hunting trip!

My dad uses a crossbow too & some good heads we have found after testing have been the muzzy 4 blade 90 or 115, NAP Shockwave 100 or 125, and the rocky mountain Ironhead 125. The rocket steelhead 125 is also a good head and should work fine out of a crossbow.

Old 08-22-2002, 11:19 AM

You guys are great. Thanks. This is just the kind of info I was looking for.

But it also raised a couple of additional questions.

5 shot, you said that there are difficulties with getting good broadhead flight from a crossbow. Why is that?

Also, moonge recommended different weight tips. What difference does the weight make, and what should I be looking for there?

Thanks again, guys, you have really helped.
Old 08-22-2002, 12:53 PM

Wolfman what I found was that a tip around 125 did the best with my dads crossbow but it did shoot the muzzy 90's really well. the heavier tip seemed to provide better results. as with anything else we all tend to have our own choices in equipment. I will say this, the rocky snyper 5 shot mentioned is a super mechanical head & would do a great job from a crossbow.