Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Cross Bows

Old 12-15-2004, 08:02 AM

Default Cross Bows

Will be getting a medical exception to use a cross bow next year and wanted know of a good brand. Is there anything special to look for when purchasing ? I have used a bow in the past but cant get to full draw any longer due to an accident. So basically what I'm asking is what to look for when buying a cross bow. Are they more accurate than a compound and what is the shot distance like ? Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Cross Bows

Essentially they are just like a bow. The have about the same range but it depends on how much you are willing to practice.

We have sold a lot of them at our shop and one thing I have noticed when sighting them in is that they will shoot to different points of impact when you change youw you hold them. If you sight it in standing up off hand it will shoot different if you rest it on something. That's because, unlike a rifle, as the bolt is traveling down the barrel the limbs are moving and when you change the harmonics of that movement you can change the impact point.

IMO the best cross bow out there is the Ten Point QX4. Everything on that bow is machined aluminum. There are no cast limb pockets, no plastic sight rails, etc. The trigger system is much better than any others I have tried. There is an ANTI DRY FIRE SYSTEM on the bow, it will not fire unless there is an arrow loaded inthe bow. You can get it with or with out an accudraw to aid in drawing the bow back.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:29 PM

I have an excalibur exomax and love it. 350 fps I'm planning a trip to South Africa in March or Sept and plan on taking it. I got it from ebers.com they had a good price on it.

Rick
Old 12-23-2004, 05:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Most folks will tell you that the Tenpoint series and the Excalibur brands are the two most prestigious out there...and rightly so considering their construction and designs. Cost is relatively high though as well. If I am not mistaken the least expensive Ten Point crossbow (I believe with a kit) is around $500. The least expensive Excalibur (again with a kit) is around $400 to $450.

Both Barnett and Horton make crossbows in a variety of price ranges. Least expensive model for both brands is around $200 to $250 with their most expensive being right up there close to what the Tenpoints and Excaliburs go for.

One word of warning, avoid the Barnett Rhino Sport Magnum. We have had more of those come back to the shop because of various quality control issues than any other crossbow.

As Bigbulls stated, they offer practially the same effective range as a compound bow...30-40 yards for most folks. Accuracy is a tad better in my opinion depending on model (and with the assumption we are talking about average shooters).