Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

what to get?

Old 12-10-2004, 10:35 PM

Default what to get?

I just want a little input. I am currently shooting a fairly inexpensive PSE that is fairly effective, but shoots a little slow, isn't all that smooth, and is way to long when in a tree. I was wondering what you all thought about the best bow for the dollar is? I shot a friends Mathews Legacy and was very impressed. I've heard great things about Hoyt, Renegade, Alpine and some of the higher priced PSE's. Comments and input is very welcome. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:08 AM

Default RE: what to get?

ssternadel,Best advice is to go to an archery shop,a good one that you can trust, and shoot a lot of different bows.They will measure and fit you to the proper draw and lenght.There are alot of quality bow manufactors,and take into consideration of what kind of hunting and shooting you will be doing.Try and stay with a managable brace height(7in.or better).Remember,Speed isn't everything,accuracy is whats counts.
What worked for me,I started out wiyh a Parker Hunter-Mag,it was'nt a heavy investment,but a good bow that served me well.Since then,I've owned Bowtechs,Hoyts,and Mathews.Parker,PSE,Darton,Martin,Renegade,Merlin,e ct,all make quality bows,and I have shot everyone of them.I've stayed with the Mathews,for me,they are the best bows I've ever shot.But then again,thats my opinion.Good Luck...Bob
Old 12-11-2004, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what to get?

Yep, go shoot a lot of different bows from different companies. Martin makes some fine bows. Pearson/McPherson, Darton, Hoyt, Parker, Kodiak, just to name a few. There is definitely no reason to have to spend a big chunk of money to get something decent. You should be able to find some really good bows for $400 and less. Spending more often buys you nothing but advertising for the next fool.

Don't know how long your PSE is but I can remember when compounds first hit the scene. They measured 48" to 50" and some said that was too short to be stable. Funny how we were able to shoot these things from treestands. Well, now they're down around 30", and this is getting too short for best accuracy. I'm a short guy, 5'8", with a 27.5" draw and I still prefer bows in the 35" to 38" range. Why? Because they allow me to use shooting form that I am familar with (30 years of shooting compounds). And overall they are more accurate and forgiving in my hands. So don't let the ultra-short crowd give you the idea that short bows are the gods-end for treestand hunting. They have their own problems, too, like more severe string angle, more side torque caused by the cable guard, and more severe cam-lean if it's a single cam bow.

Whatever you decide, just make sure you get the drawlength right. Most people shoot a couple inches longer than they should and never achieve the accuracy potential they are capable of.