Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
"classic test" G5 Monotech broadhead >

"classic test" G5 Monotech broadhead

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

"classic test" G5 Monotech broadhead

Old 05-06-2002, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default "classic test" G5 Monotech broadhead

Plywood: 5 points
Steel drum: 4 points
Accuracy: 4 points
Cutting diameter: 3 points
Blades: 3 points
Non-mechanical head 2 points
Total score: 25, blade sharpness rating of c+

The G5 Monotech broadhead is a one piece cut to the tip 3 blade style head. It is unique in that the blades, ferule, and threads of the broadhead are all made from one piece of steel. The accuracy is very good, grouping with my field points. In the tire the head got through the first side, with about 4 inches of shaft. In the plywood it busted through without any damage to the head. In the steel drum the head got through the first side, and stuck in the far side with a ¼ of the tip sticking out the back. This is an excellent broadhead. Good accuracy, and plenty strong. I preformed another test with this head shooting it and a Muzzy 4 blade 100 grn into the shoulder bone of a medium size steer. It had died last year on my property, and One shoulder bone was still intact. I cut it in half and shot each head into the halves. I was careful to keep both the same size and thickness. The Muzzy 4 blade busted a good size hole in the shoulder and stuck in the foam behind a good distance. The head was undamaged. I then shot the Monotech into the other half of the shoulder blade. It split the shoulder in half, and penetrated into the foam about the same distance as the Muzzy. When I pulled it out though, 2 of the 3 blades were broken. They broke dead center half way between the tip and back of the head. Keep in mind though that this was the same head that just went through a tire, ¾” plywood, and a steel drum. I still consider it an excellent head for those looking for a 3 blade, cut to the tip style broadhead of modest cutting diameter.
Old 05-07-2002, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: "classic test" G5 Monotech broadhead

Thanks for the report 5-shot - just curious - was the Muzzy that you shot through the shoulder blade new and sharp? Also, does anyone have a pick of the G5?
Old 05-07-2002, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Muzzy I shot had been shot through a steel drum once, and and I did practice with it some. The blades were dull. You can get a pic of the G5 by going to their website. G5outdoors.com

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 05-10-2002, 11:28 AM
Spike

I've been looking everywhere for the G5 Montec broadheads. No one seems to have them in stock. Where do you find them? Also, I was told that the Montec was now available in 100 grain. I'm finding it hard to believe that they are available in any grain. LOL. Anyway, thanks for the info on the test.
Old 05-10-2002, 03:34 PM

look in Cabela's catalog - click on archery. Both the G5 heads are there.

www.Cabelas.com