Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Bear Super Razorhead

Old 03-29-2002, 09:21 PM

Default Bear Super Razorhead

Bear Super Razorhead:

Construction: Stainless Steel Main Blade, Aluminum Ferrule, Carbon Steel Bleeder Blades

Weight: 145 grains
Blades: .043 Stainless Steel Main Blade
Cutting Diameter: 1-1/16"
Heads Per Package: 6
Cost: 21.99 (BassPro Shops)
Head Type: Screw In

Overview:
The Bear Super Razorhead is a legend in it's own right. This head has been used by archers for more than 30 years. It is a timeless design that has taken every type of game you can imagine. I think Fred Bear design a great product that has survived the test of time. It has evolved over the years from an all steel head to it's modern design using stainless steel. This head has lost favor with many of todays modern archers but it continues the account for a lot of game by traditonal archers and those you still shoot heavy arrows and cut-on-impact heads.

Rating system: 1 = poor, 10 = best.

Durablilty: 7 - Don't let the raiting fool you this is one tough head. The only compalint I have is that the main blade can get bent on a really hard impact due to it's long and thin design. This is common with this style of broadhead. The bleeder blades are not very tough and bend and break easy.

Quality: 7 - Overall these heads are good in quality but they can vary in shrpness and weight. I wish they did a better job of sharpening them before they package them.

Flight: 6 - These heads require a bit more tuning and weight matching than most heads like the Muzzy or the Thunderhead. They also do not fly well with ultra fast bows using overdraws and light carbon arrows. I have also noticed they tend to group much better when used with a 5" vane or feather using a strong helical fletch.

Price: 8 - 6 proven broadheads for less than 25 dollars, what a deal!

Total Score: 7

Final Comment:
Please don't take some of the low scores as an insult to this design. It is a proven design and has accounted for a lot of game animals. I feel a certain degree of tradition when I still dig my old ones out of my old box of seldom used broadheads. If I ever get another recurve this will be the head I pick just because it feels like the right thing to do.

I don't think this head is a design that is friendly to most modern bows and carbon arrows. I think you really need to keep the speed down with this head and so most archers do not want to drop their speed to shoot this style of head.

Please Note: My test results for any broadhead is based on the quality, inovation, and basic durability of that broadhead. My reviews do not include any penetration tests. I am not concerned with that, if you want more information on those types of test please search for 5 Shots broadhead penetration test.
Old 03-29-2002, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bear Super Razorhead

thanks for the review, I was going to give them a chance but after your review I might as well stick with my steelforce heads. What would you choose one or the other. steelforce or Bear Super razorhead. thanks for your opinion

brian
Old 03-30-2002, 08:10 AM

445 I think I would go with the 100 grain steelforce if you want this style of head with a modern sutup with carbon arrows & speeds above 250.
Old 03-30-2002, 10:39 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-01-2002, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you for all the broadhead reports, It is great to compare your findings to mine, and it gives everyone another source for information. I actualy prefer them to the steel force heads, and the Razor lites shoot well at higher speeds, at least up to 260 fps. They are not nearly as sharp as the steel force heads though.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 07-29-2002, 11:41 AM

I just wanted to bring some of these reviews back up in front since people are getting ready for hunting season now.