Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 ladders vs fixed vs climbers >

ladders vs fixed vs climbers

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

ladders vs fixed vs climbers

Old 10-20-2004, 03:52 PM

Default ladders vs fixed vs climbers

I'm a prospective bowhunter and am looking at treestands. I'm intrigued by the climbers because I think the fewer contraptions on the ground the less possibilities for scent, noise and general foreigness. What I wonder about is first I'm a fit 280lbs and I don't need to come crashing down. Second when someone my size gets into a stand doesn't it groan and creak? What are the relative sound propetties of ladders vs fixed vs climbers. I know you can get higher with a climber provided you have the right tree but If you have to come down in a hurry I suspect you're out of luck. Do most bow hunters progress from ladders or do you just go for it.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ladders vs fixed vs climbers

im a big guy too. i have a couple climbers (tree lounges) and a bunch of 15 foot ladder stands. both can be good! if you plan to use a climber make sure your in some kind of physical shape to climb. there are many brands of climbers and some make more noise than others but you will have to try them out or ask opinions on them from this board and at the stores. ladder stands are good because if you can set them up before the season opens or when your gonna hunt you can just get right in them and start hunting without breaking a sweat. i set them up so they are facing the way i think i will get a shot. i set them up so i can shoot sitting down. GOOD LUCK!
Old 10-21-2004, 04:35 AM

First of all, let me welcome you to the forum! You'll get lots of good opinions here

As to the different types of stands, there are many ideas on this so I'll jump in and give you mine.

Ladder Stands - Great on your own property or someplace you have exclusive hunting rights. These are usually heavy and take some time to set up. If you use rubber gloves to eliminate scent when setting them up, and get them up early enough in the season, the deer will walk right under the ladder by the time the season opens. All you have to do is be sure not to leave any scent at ground level. These are very sturdy and are great if you are trying to get kid into hunting since they make two person models. Not the most versitle since they go up 15' or something and that's it. No lower, no higher.

Fixed Stands - Again, great for someplace you have exclusive hunting rights if you want to set them up and forget about them. Also good for setting up on a whim if your tree isn't the straightest... like most on my property. Usually lighter than a climber, but you also have to carry strap on tree steps, a climbing stick, or something like Bucksteps by Summit Inc. I love these on my property since they come cheap and I could invest in a few for the future. (Right now, this is the only type of stand I own and I only have one). Usually can be comfortable and quiet since there are few moving parts. Also, quiet getting up and down if you set up the steps right.

Climbing stands - The ultimate in portability. For big guys, these can be a bit scary at first of if you get the wrong one. In my opinion, great for those weekend hunting trips or trips to public land. You can pack them in, climb, descend and pack them out. You can't leave them out and I think many people make the mistake of leaving too much scent on the ground while trying to set them up. Many models are relatively quiet, but this sometimes takes some practice on the part of the user. These are usually the most expensive.

My advise: Sit down, plan where / when / how often you plan on setting up a stand. If it's more than once a week, I'd tend to lean toward a climber if you have the trees for it. If not, a fixed. If you own the land or have exclusive rights, I'd favor the fixed / ladder unless you plan on moving them often. I am setting up a stand for the first time this year (a little late since it's a week into the season here). I made sure to pick a place that I could use for both shotgun hunting and bow. I don't plan on moving it until the season ends, and I think a fixed will be best. (Good thing since that's what I have).

Also be sure to take budget into account. Money doesn't grow on trees, so try to get a setup that works with for as many different situations you can.

Good luck, and above all -- BE SAFE! Wear the safety harness while in a tree. It's the cheapest insurance you'll have!
Old 10-21-2004, 03:37 PM

the thing i like about climbers is take down and move it around. ladder same thing but much slower. fixed are nice but you have to get them fixed and that cab be a job in its self. screw in stepsare bad all the way around too. i am a paramedic and screw in steps are the most cause of injury that i have seen. a good safety belt is a must. i use seat of the pants by summit and i am not a little guy (300 lbs) and my gloiath holds me like a champ. good luck in your quest. i have looked and used several different types of stands.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

For your size, if you have private ground then in my opinion seriously consider the ladder stands. These are quiet, stable, comfortable stands that you would enjoy. I just helped my Dad set up another ladder stand just the other day. This one was a 20ft Cabela's I-Beam laddestand and it is a GREAT stand. I haven't hunted out of a ladder stand for many years but I just may make a hunt or two out of this one. Great product!
Old 10-22-2004, 03:51 PM

Wow! You guys are all great. There is a lot of good advice and information here. Thanks again.

I'll be hunting public land probably infrequently until I get "the fever". My family has som land dwon in MS and they tell me the deer is plentful down there. I was told to use steel stands but that Summit Goliath stand looks like a winner. Relatively light Aircraft aluminum with a 350lb capacity. This hobby is expensive! After bows, stands, camo, and scent$$$. Can't let the missus know what I'm $pending on this!
Old 11-02-2004, 10:40 PM
Fork Horn

hey i have my own land so im a bit biased but what we use are a ladder stand made from 2 16 ft treated 2x4s with 2x4 rungs and a 2x4 platform 15 ft up it is just leaned up against the tree and a chain and tensioner around the top it is quiet and after a year it weathers a bit and blends into the scenery i have a trail cam at the base of each one and i get lots of action right in front of the stand
again i dont have to move them (thank god) but they cost less than a metal ladder and feel a whole lot safer
Old 11-29-2004, 08:20 AM

I got to agree pretty much with mjqood0 accessment. The only exception is I don't care for the fixed stand from a safety stand point though they have there advantages in cost. I definately feel safer in either a ladder stand or my climber. I have 7 ladder tree stands. A have ladder stands from Ameristep, Rivers Edge and Hunters View. My buddy has the Gorrilla stands and they are really nice and seem a little larger. As for climbers I own a Summit Viper. I used this before I purchased my property. Climbers are really nice for travelling off your own property. I have the ladder stands all on my own property and there is nothing beating the speed and ease of getting up and down in them.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I feel safe in any style of stand, since I've hunted out all of them. Of the three listed, the ladder stands are the heaviest, "weight wise", of them all, and I'd pick that style last for portability. They are much noisier than the others to set up as well. So unless your setting that type of stand up on some private land well ahead of the time you want to hunt, a ladder stand makes sense. But from a pure portability stand point, a climber or a hang-on stand is much faster to set up and a lot more quieter as well.
Weight wise, it's a toss up between these two stands. A Summit Viper will weigh approx 20 lbs. or so depending on what else you carry with you into the woods. A hang-on stand will normally weigh less than a climber, but now you have to figure the extra weight of the treesteps or what other means you use to climb the tree, besides the weight of a good climbing belt, etc. I have switched to hang-on stands exclusivly for a number of years now, but I do want to get a Summit Viper climbing stand. I've already sat in one and I can vouce for the comfort factor. I do like the idea of being able to climb up much higher with a climber than with a hang-on stand, mainly because in order to get way up there with a hang-on stand, you need a bunch of steps. That adds extra weight to carry besides the extra grunt installing them as well. Each has there place, and I guess it boils down to which style you prefer!! Good luck with your choice!!
Old 12-23-2004, 11:56 PM

you can beat the tree lounge for comfort.