Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 My bow tasting impressions...... >

My bow tasting impressions......

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

My bow tasting impressions......

Old 08-01-2004, 09:14 PM

Default My bow tasting impressions......

Guys,

I'm about to buy my first bow and due to my inexperience eventually decided to buy my bow from my pro shop rather than off the internet. This means that I'll probably be paying about US$200 more for the bow (I'm based in NZ) than in the US, but that's ok by me since (hopefully) I'll be getting that back in good advice and service down the line.

I wanted to taste a Mathews LX, a Hoyt Xtec and a Bowtech Liberty. From my house this means a 500 km round trip - no one shop stocks all three makes and the closest shop is 160 km from my house (yes, you guys in the US are lucky).

I started on the Mathews. I couldn't shoot it, but the owner allowed me to draw it back at least. I was truly impressed with the finish of the bow and I think Mathews is probably half a step ahead when it comes to bow technology. The draw was a little 'clunky' though - I don't know how to explain this, but it drew really hard and then all of a sudden just gave up towards full draw. It feels as if the power curve drops off very steep (and unexpectedly) at the end of the draw stroke. I did like the roller cable guard - very innovative. I found the grip slightly chunky though - but maybe that's just me. But very nice bow nonetheless. Wanted one.

I then went to taste a Bowtech. Got to draw back both the Liberty and the Patriot and got to shoot the Patriot. Also very impressed with the finish of these bows. I'm no expert, but the Patriot feels very similar to the LX (although it is slightly shorter I think). The Patriot just has a thinner grip which has a slightly better feel than the Mathews. The draw on the Patriot was also slightly clunky (as in the LX), but the Liberty felt slightly smoother and more even on the draw. Shooting the Patriot was awesome. NO vibration and very little noise. I didn't even know I shot the arrow (was shooting release). Very impressed with these bows!

Last stop was the Hoyt shop. Unfortunately there was no Xtec to taste. I was allowed to hold a Supertec? for a feel and shoot an Ultra mag for a test. The finish on the Ultramag did not look as good as on the previous two models (although it is in a different price class entirely - so not fair to compare). I was, however, very impressed with the draw. Extremely smooth and positive all the way with no 'clunk'. The cam and 1/2 really has some good benefits (also has fairly level knock travel which is good). I was not so impressed with the shooting though - much more vibration and noise than the Bowtech. I suspect this is due to more upright risers?

Each bow had good points and bad points and it is a pity one can't put all the good points into one bow. I eventually decided to go for the Bowtech Liberty. A very sorta nice inbetween bow. My assesments may be off the mark, but this is what worked for me at the time (and 500 km later).

Any comments on my tasting is more than welcome - wouldn't mind hearing from some other tasters!

Cheers,

Greg
Old 08-10-2004, 08:49 AM

Default RE: My bow tasting impressions......

Wow, that sure sucks that you are limited on all that. I'm sure that bow will work just fine for you though. Good luck.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I feel your pain. Long ways to travel. In comparison I live within 25 miles of about half a dozen places where I can go look, and shoot different bows by about 20 different manufacturers. I think, tho, that you have settled on a very decent bow. I've shot the Liberty, and although not the fastest on the planet, it did draw smoothly indeed. Good luck with your choice.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

You'll be very happy with your choice!

Good Luck!
Old 08-11-2004, 07:56 PM

With all of those choices, it sounds like its going to be hard to pick. Im just glad I didnt have to go through that. I would end up buying all of em. Good Luck with whichever you go with