Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

jennings Speed Star

Old 04-30-2004, 07:20 AM

Default jennings Speed Star

Three years ago I bought this bow. I loved it but never got to make a hunt with it. I shot it a bunch though. I am finally going to bow hunt with it this year since I should have some time. Does anyone have any comments about this bow or experience with it?

Thanks
Old 04-30-2004, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: jennings Speed Star

Not really, but I'd suggest changing the string and cables if it's that old--shot or not.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:15 AM

The string is getting replaced. The serving is wore on it also....I believe the cables shoul be fine.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I owned a Jennings Speedstar XLR for close to one year. It was a used bow that was given to me by a friend in exchange for something else. The bow was pretty quiet for the time. This was in the pre Limb Saver era. The bow shot pretty accurately for me, but I can't say that it was very forgiving of shooter error. I ended up taking off the laminated wood grip, and the bow was much less prone to torque than with the grip on. The single cams of that time period also had some nock travel. I tried to paper tune the bow, but could never get less than about a 3/4" nock high tear. With this bow, I had a bad tendency to "throw" a shot out of the group from time to time. I never really figured out why, perhaps I was creeping or something. I also had a Bear Superstrike XL at the time, and for some reason, I shot the Bear a little better, and a lot more consistently. It should be a decent bow that can still fill your needs for hunting and target shooting.