Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Tko and Whisper disk reviews >

Tko and Whisper disk reviews

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Tko and Whisper disk reviews

Old 04-14-2004, 10:19 AM

Default Tko and Whisper disk reviews

Remember these reviews are done with bowhunting in mind.

GKF TKO and Whisper disk review: I tried to be as unbiased in my testing of these to rests as possible and they are rated 1-5 5 being the best and 1 being the worst in the following categories. Installation- set-up, design, accuracy, safety, and durability.

Installation: For the installation review of these two rests I first took them to a proshop and had them mounted on my bow, I then paper tuned each of the rests before shooting 250 arrows out of each. I then took the rests off and reinstalled them myself and went through the whole process again. The results follow.

Installation and set up of the tko was as simple as it gets. I had this rest installed on my bow in less than ten minutes ( with cord attached to the cable guard) and shooting bullet holes in less than 10 shots. I will mention here that I did experience some fletching contact at first, but this was cured by shooting cock vane up and putting the launcher forks slightly closer together. After installation I found it extremely easy to remove and set-up again. I would give the TKO a 5 for set up.

Now the whisper disk installed effortlessly on to the bow and in about 5 minutes. There are no cords or timing issues with this rest and the vertical and horizontal adjustments make set-up a snap. It did take me a few shots and fletching positions before I got a good tear and I finally settled for a slight and I meen slight nock high tear. So although it took a little longer to tune, it still was way to easy to set up. Again a 5.

Design:

Before and after installing the rests I thoroughly checked out the design features.

I found the design of the tko to be solid to say the least. I really liked the adjustability options of this rest not only can you adjust the prongs any way you wish including an angle that eliminates the need of an arrow holder, it is also the only rest that I have reviewed that can be shot as a fall away or a standard rest which I found to be a advantage for those not knowing if they are ready for a fall away rest yet. This way if you decide to ditch the fall away you can go with a standard prong rest. As far as the machining and overall design I felt that it was solid and easy to adjust. I give this rest a 4 for design.

Now on to the design of the whisper disk. I have to admit that at first sight I was more than skeptical of this rest I mean give me a break it is made out of some kind of strange foam and looks like something you might find in the cleaning supplies isle of your local grocery store. However it only took a few minutes of looking at the rest to see that it was actually a super design. Again this rest is easy to install and not to hard to tune and I found the elevation and windage adjustments to be a huge plus over other full containment rests I have tried. I really liked the arrow containment and the material that this rest is comprised of is almost silent while drawing. I give this rest an enthusiastic 5 for design.

For my accuracy rating I simply compared the two rest's performance on my now destroyed 3d-deer from cabelas at distances from 20-50 yards . this is the one area where I could have been more scientific, but new to reviews I probably could have done better.

Accuracy:

As far as accuracy I found the Tko rest to be on par with the trophy taker as I saw similar groups out to fifty and found arrow flight with both broadheads and field points to be great. I really believe that if you are using a well designed fall away you are going to see similar accuracy results as long as you are getting good clearance and the timing is done properly. I was not disappointed in the accuracy of the tko and found it to be capable of better groups than I am, but until someone donates a spott hogg shooter to my rest review efforts my shooting form will have to do. Accuracy 4

Now for the disk. It is in this department that I initially had trouble with this rest. When I first set it up I was getting severe contact and poor accuracy. However I then noticed that if I aligned the vanes more carefully and used arrows with a stiffer vane like bohning or duravane (bohnings worked the best) accuracy began to greatly improve and my groups got smaller and smaller. After these slight adjustments I found this rest to be more than acceptable for hunting out to 40 or 50 yards. I will say that with this type of rest you are going to see a little vane contact and accuracy may not be quite as good as a fall away design, but it is still probably better than most of the people hunting out there and you shouldn’t see a big change in your accuracy with this rest. Accuracy 3

Safety

In the safety department I found the TKO to be of solid design and with the adjustable prongs I found that you could cradle the arrow well and eliminate the need for an arrow holder if you wish. Saftey 4

Now the disk is as safe as you can get the arrow containment solves the problem of your arrow falling off of your rest and eliminates the chance of a broadhead bouncing off of your hand when it falls off the shelf as you are drawing. I also feel that this rest is very safe for hanging next to your tree because the arrow will stay on the rest even if you where to hang upside down. Safety rating 5

Last but not least I rated the rests due to their perceived durability in the field. In this case I found the TKO to be a rock solid design and aside from a screw coming loose I could not see anything that would really effect the way this rest works short of lan ding on it after falling out of your tree stand. Rate 5

I also found the whisper disk to be of solid design although you will have to replace the foam insert at some point, but that process is easy and takes only a few minutes. I would however like to see a harder plastic used to enclose the foam for this is the only weak spot I could find in its design. I did not freeze this rest, but I did intentionally drop it a few times and found it durable and impregnable by dirt and water due to its closed cell design. Rate 4

Okay well there you have it my review on the whisper disk and tko. In closing I would like to again remind you that I do these reviews for the bowhunter and with hunting in mind. I am not sponsored by nor a staff shooter for any company. I simply wish to review these rests to help someone else make an informed decision when spending their hard earned cash on hunting accessories and to give the rest of the bowhunters out there a no BS evaluation of these products. Thanks for reading and hope this review helps someone out there.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Tko and Whisper disk reviews

Very nice review. It is obvious that you put alot of time and effort into it.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:29 PM

Thanks
Old 04-14-2004, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also feel that this rest is very safe for hanging next to your tree because the arrow will stay on the rest even if you where to hang upside down.
Wow, that brought back some bad memories of when I tested the VBG's Ultimate Fallaway's claim of 360º arrow containment. Needless to say, the arrow stayed on the rest, but the shooter didnt stay on the picnic table.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:20 PM

Nice reviews
On a couple solid, simple hunting rests.

T
Old 04-24-2004, 12:42 PM

Now for the disk. It is in this department that I initially had trouble with this rest. When I first set it up I was getting severe contact and poor accuracy. However I then noticed that if I aligned the vanes more carefully and used arrows with a stiffer vane like bohning or duravane (bohnings worked the best) accuracy began to greatly improve and my groups got smaller and smaller. After these slight adjustments I found this rest to be more than acceptable for hunting out to 40 or 50 yards. I will say that with this type of rest you are going to see a little vane contact and accuracy may not be quite as good as a fall away design, but it is still probably better than most of the people hunting out there and you shouldn’t see a big change in your accuracy with this rest. Accuracy 3
A common set of statements and suggestions that are usually made when evaluating a "containment" rest.

Again: Same concerns and questions (constantly) arise when I read such statements.

- It sounds as if the person using a "containment" rest best be thoroughly skilled in troubleshooting and tuning a bow.
- Some shooters using a "containment" rest may have to settle for compromised accuracy.
- Some shooters using a "containment" rest may have to change or revise other gear and shooting form to just meet the requirements of the rest.

Which kills the game, the rest or the arrow/broadhead?
Old 05-02-2004, 09:15 AM

You are correct and most folks know this ,you will get a great arrow holding rest in a containment rest with many positives for hunting but they are not as accurate as my dropaway TKO.

I like the DISK because it is an silent improvment to many other rests and provides the arrow holding design needed for hunting in cold Tree Stands.

T