Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Trophy Ridge Mantis

Old 04-09-2004, 07:41 PM

Default Trophy Ridge Mantis

Has anyone had a chance to try out the new Trophy ridge mantis V-Drive sight yet? What's your opinions on it?
Old 04-09-2004, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Trophy Ridge Mantis

I've been shooting the Mantis Guide Series V-Drive for awhile now and I really love the concept. It's certainly a top quality sight that no doubt will become very popular this season. It's all metal construction will please even the pickiest shooter. The center swing pin concept works very nice and is locked or released with a simply micro-knob located on the top side of the sight housing. The V-Drive direct drive system is the slickest movable sight idea I've seen yet. A simple bump of the large 4 prong wingknob and you have a large sight range that is going to be able to handle any yardage a person could possibly want to shoot. You also have the option of totally locking the V-Drive system, IF you choose, making the sight a fixed or pendulum only. TR has really done a fine job of introducing a neat idea and I'm sure we'll see more manufacturers scrambling to imitate next year. Of course this systems works that much sweeter with the Guide Series adjustments so you have all the micro adjustablity you could want as well. I'm actually more impressed with the sight than I thought I would be and now I'm looking forward to trying it in the woods. I do like the idea of having a single pin to concentrate on in the Turkey blind and on the 3D range and then having the total adjustability to convert to a Pendulum with a simple twist of a small micro knob. Add to a great sight design, a company that stands behind it, and you can't help but be impressed with the TR's new Mantis. Check one out.

Old 04-12-2004, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

How is the set up on this sight? I've been looking into getting a Pendulum sight for years, but I'm just not confident enough with them. I love my Trophy Ridge Nitro, but would like to upgrade it to the metal pins. Maybe this is a good time to try out the Pendulum from a great company.....that (as you said) stands behind what they make.

Just wondering how easy it is to set it up and get it sighted in. Is there anything special that has to be done? How far out can the pendulum work? does it work just from up in a tree or does it work from the ground as well. Please let me know.

J
Old 04-12-2004, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is nothing special that has to be done at all. The sight sets up as quick and easy as the TR Nitro you have. Great micro adjustments with the Guide Series, just a quick and super easy sight to ready. Sight it in from 25 yards and your set for any Pendulum action. With an average shooting bow I would say that with the 25 yards zero you will be good out to about 31 to 35 yards with the Pendulum activated. As you can tell in my pics there is a small micro knob on the top right side of the sight housing. This knob when unscrewed activates the Pendulum. When this small screw is turned in then it locks the housing down and you have a top quality movable/adjustable sight that when used in conjuction with TR's V-Drive system is good for any range you could possibly want to shoot. The sight actually has a tremendous range that will carry you thru any 3D ranges you will shoot this season. It's just a really cool concept that I believe we'll be hearing lots of good things about this season. You'll love the sight. Good luck and good shootin.

Of course, keep me posted on your feedback of the product. I'm looking forward to it. One of the things that makes Trophy Ridge great is the fact that they truly listen to bowhunters, so please feel free to offer any feedback on this sight. I think we are going to be seeing alot of this type technology from other companies as well. Let me know when it arrives?
Old 04-12-2004, 11:30 AM

The Guide Series Mantis with the V-Drive is a great sight. I have been shooting one for a few weeks & love it. This will be my sight for deer hunting this fall. I set mine up with the optional Blue LED and love it.

This is the only tree stand sight I have found that is queit. I also like the fact you can lock it down & use it as a movable single pin sight as well. The V-Drive moves really nice & gives plenty of motion with a 1/4" turn! If you lock it down you can shoot anywhere from 10 yards to 100 with out any problems!

If you hunt deer, bear or any other game form a tree stand this is the real deal for serious hunters! If you hunt out of a ground blind for turkey, pronghorn, deer, etc. lock the pendelum down & use it as a moveable pin sight. The V-Drive is awsome & since you are in a blind you have nothing to worry about setting the sight to the range you need. You cn add a Glo-Ring and the Blue LED and you will have no problems with a black lined ground blind!

Good Luck
Old 04-15-2004, 07:40 PM

How much???
Old 04-15-2004, 08:36 PM

THEY ARE 139.99 IN CABELA'S, YET I'VE SEEN THEM GO FOR AROUND 80.00 ON EBAY BRAND NEW. I STILL HAVE THE NITRO EXTREME BUT I WAS THINKING ABOUT SWITCHING TO THE MANTIS IF I CAN EVER GET MY WIFE TO LET ME GET IT.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:15 AM

thanks cornfed

I just ordered a outback and the mantis sight, my pro shop that i frequent,took care of me, he does not stock trophy ridge sights but ordered the mantis plus guide series drop zone for my bow and only charged me a little over his cost so i could be a happy customer.. that's service with a smile....can't wait to get my hand on this new gear and see how it great it does....will post results 6 week wait for bow!!!!! arrrrrhhhh
Old 05-08-2004, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto on everything said about the Mantis except I found that if you don't tighten the v-drive set screw real tight the sight rattles from being loose right at the center of the v-drive.