Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Bow Quality Question

Old 02-21-2004, 09:28 PM

Default Bow Quality Question

I am relatively new to bowhunting and this forum. However, I have noticed that most on this forum seem to have Mathews, BowTech, Hoyt, or one of the many other high end bows that I would certainly love to have but that are out my price range. I have seen very little info about Browning or Golden Eagle bows. The reason I bring it up is I am considering either a GE Obsession or a Browning Mirage. Both fit real nice, very similar in size and wt and price and, after shooting them both, they both seem, in my novice hands, to shoot very nice (much better than the old XI I have now). So, any info anyone could pass on that might help me make an informed decision would be much appreciated.
Thanks for the help.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bow Quality Question

If you are looking for a quality bow at an affordable price, I would really suggest taking a look at a Reflex. They are made by Hoyt, but without the price tag. Very high quality IMO. There are also some others that are very good bows as well. I am just speaking from experience with the Reflex line.

Take a look at High Country, Parker and Champion as well. Very nice bows for the money.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

there are lots of things to look at when determining whethew a bow is a quality bow or not
using an arrow check the streightness of the cam and see if the arrow lines up with the limbs, the limbs should be in line with the cam is the bow balanced or do you have to add a lot of weight to get it to balance
if you use a strait edge on the sides of the limbs they should line up.

does the string track to the center from end to end, what kind of tolerences do the limb pockets have, is there ample amount of fletch clearance between the string and the cables? all of these things need to be taken in consideration. when purchasing a bow.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:58 PM

I would Recomend an Alpine. Great Bows at a great cost.
I used to shoot an Alpine Impact X-treme Bought the bare bow for only $308. It was very nice. You may want to check them out.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the North American Archery Group bow...Jennings, Fred Bear, Golden Eagle, Buckmasters... One of the reasons they are less expensive is because they are not "pro shop only"....which means that places like Cabelas, Bass Pro, Sport Authority, etc.. can sell them. They buy in volume in many cases which means they can offer it at a lower price.

I am not stating that the bow's mentioned above are equal to the ones you mentioned in terms of manufacturing tolerances, design, etc.. but they are all more than adequate when it comes to their functionality. They are all great hunting bows and I would not hesitate to buy another from them.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:31 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-23-2004, 05:59 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-25-2004, 06:42 PM

I dont know what your budget is but if I was you I would go ahead and buy the best bow on the market. That would be a Mathews, even a older Mathews shoots alot better than any Fred Bear or Golden Eagle ever will. But my suggestion is the older Mathews Q2 or Q2XL, because they handle and shoot like a competion bow, but the can throw a broadhead through a deer like it is going through butter.
THE BEST NEVER REST, MATHEWS.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

WHATEVER!

the best advice that is given on this subject is to try out several bows/brands IN YOUR PRICE RANGE. Yes you can buy the "best" bow in someone's opinion, but it may not be the best for you. Bottom line, a $300 bow will kill a deer just as good as a $800+ bow will, when used properly.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:49 PM

ORIGINAL: doughboysigep

WHATEVER!

the best advice that is given on this subject is to try out several bows/brands IN YOUR PRICE RANGE. Yes you can buy the "best" bow in someone's opinion, but it may not be the best for you. Bottom line, a $300 bow will kill a deer just as good as a $800+ bow will, when used properly.
Good advise

Quick Reply: Bow Quality Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.