Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Set up and accessories

Old 01-18-2004, 07:55 PM

Default Set up and accessories

Hello all. I've just purchased a Matthews MQ1. Being the first bow that I've purchase not as a package(sights, quiver, et al installed), I'd like your opinions on any particular accessores that you feel strongly about. Looking at sights has been a little overwhelming. The only thing that I'm pretty set on is the stabilizer(doinker), simms limb savers(for insurance) and simms string leeches(added insurance against noise). Thanks, Chris
Old 01-19-2004, 08:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Set up and accessories

Chris,

Sights:

For those folks that enjoy shooting multiple, conventional pin sights I think either the Copper John Dead Nuts or Spott Hogg Right On are probably the two best built in their category. Both are all metal construction and both have the round pin guard for easy peep sight alignment.

Some folks are fond of the vertical pin sights like the Trophy Ridge or HHA models. Both are usually highly recommended though I cannot comment on them myself as my experience in this area is liimited.

Rests:

There are basically three types of rests on the market today for release shooters.

Total Containment: The CAP Whisker Bisuit, GKF Funnel

Drop Away: Muzzy Zero Effect, Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter, etc...

Shoot Through: GKF Golden Premier, NAP Quicktune, Bodoodle Pro Doodle, etc...

Each has their advantages and disadvantages. I would suggest doing a search on each of them to see what would best suit your needs.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:11 PM

Thanks. I am very interested in the whisker bisket set up, but have always been happy with the tm hunter from my first bow. My Hoyt has whatever the company uses in the hunting package, but I'm wondereing if the shoot through
WB system will have as good accuracy. Thanks
Old 01-20-2004, 10:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Accuracy was never presented to me as a concern by those who were interested or had used the WB. Most of the time folks are curious about speed loss or damage to fletching. Both occur to some extent but can be minimized with a few precautions.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:05 PM

I found one other post on this forum in which just about everyone gave the WB a unanimous thumbs up. I think I may haveto try it. We'll see. Thanks PA!
Old 01-21-2004, 07:30 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-21-2004, 07:23 PM

I like the Copper John sights. The little blue light you can screw into it is awsome too [8D]. Very rugged, and durable.

For a rest, if you don't shoot alot year round, the WB is an excellent hunting rest. If you shoot year round, whoever fletches your arrows will be a little richer. It really tears the fletchings up if you shoot alot. As far a speed loss goes, if you trim it, it is minimal. However, I recently switched to the Drop Zone drop away, and my accuracy has improved significantly. But that's just me.

I also like the fletcher tru-peep. No nonsense and minimal speed loss. I also prefer a string loop as it will keep your string from wearing out too soon. As far as a quiver goes, I personally think the alpine soft loc is a very good design. Hope this helps and have fun picking out all the new toys .