Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Is paper tuning necessary? >

Is paper tuning necessary?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Is paper tuning necessary?

Old 12-29-2003, 07:06 PM

Default Is paper tuning necessary?

Is paper tuning necessary if you can consistantly shoot tight groups? Please let me know what you think?
Old 12-30-2003, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is paper tuning necessary?

Yes its something that should be done with all new setups, and equipment changes of rests, and arrows. Some archery shops can eyeball it pretty well. But I've always paper tuned myself to make sure I don't have any bad tears. A straight shooting arrow is obviously of vital importance for proper arrow flight, and penetration. Especially when shooting broadheads. What might seem a minor tear with field points could be increased with broadheads. If you have a certain tear on all your arrows you can still group them that way.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Is paper tuning necessary? NO.

At best, paper tuning is nothing more than an intermediate step in the total tuning process and it's one step I almost always skip.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

No its not necessary. But I won't step foot ing the woods without doing it! Its part of tuning you bow. Your arrows could group pretty good but not be flying true. This can easily result in dramatic loss of penetration!

Good Luck!
Old 12-30-2003, 05:40 PM

Is there an easy way to hold the paper in place when paper tuning your bow? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:54 PM
Typical Buck

I always paper tune my bows. To do so I use a step ladder and tape newspaper between the A part giving me ample room to loose an arrow through. Hope this helps.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:57 PM

Thanks alot Arkansas bowhunter. That is a great tip! I will try this tomorrow.
I really appreciate it.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cloud 9, I very much resent the insinuation that I am not using a well tuned bow and am risking poor penetration, simply because I skip an unnecessary step in the tuning process!

An arrow shot from an out of tune bow will give poor penetration. That's a given. While some think 'bullet holes' in a piece of paper are the indication of ulitimate tune, anyone that knows their elbow from a hard rock about tuning a bow knows those bullet holes are just an intermediate step to a well tuned bow. When you get a bow to final tune, it will rarely shoot a bullethole in paper. So I don't waste my time shooting stinkin' holes in scrap paper!

A bow will not group broadheads tightly at all distances out to at least 60 yards if there is any sort of bad arrow flight. And 60 yards gives plenty of flight time to see any wobble in arrow flight. There are many ways of completing a fine tune job. Paper tuning is not one of them.

Honestly, if someone is not a good enough shot to tightly group broadheads out to 60 yards, then that person is not a good enough shot to rely on paper tuning either. He'd have just as good a chance of getting bad tears with a good tune as he'd have of getting good tears with a bad tune. Paper tuning is dreadfully unreliable for the average shooter.

That's my final word on the matter.

1turkey... If you're determined to go through with this... to suffer through the depression, anxiety, frustration, ulcers and all that other stuff... You can also tape newspaper over the open end of a large cardboard box and shoot through that. Just make sure you set the box high enough that shooting through it at shoulder height. Butcher paper is better than newspaper though.

Good luck. You're going to need it.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:44 PM

ArthurP,
I just paper tuned my bow through the A- frame of a ladder and had a perfect tear 3 times in a row. I am very excited to try some broadheads soon. Thanks for everyone's input.