Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

help, can't remember?

Old 12-27-2003, 10:29 PM

Default help, can't remember?

The other day I wa watching the outdoor channel and saw an ad for a new fixed blade broadhead. I have to shoot a fixed blade in this state, mechs are illegal. anyway this fixed blade advertised that it would shoot exactly where field points did, no planing. I was just wondering if anybody has used or is using these or if anybody knows the name. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-28-2003, 01:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: help, can't remember?

I don't know which add you saw but I have had great luck with the Phantoms made by a division of Muzzy. They hit right where my field points do. They are a cut on impact two blade. Just make sure that your speeds aren't too fast. I like to shoot around 260 feet per sec. Anything faster and you will probably have trouble tuning most fixed blade broad heads. I like to use a heavier arrow. It seems to be more stable and my shots are usually under 20 yards and more often than not under 15, so flat shooting isn't a neccessity. It looks like you are an elk hunter. These broadheads were designed for elk hunting and provide excellent penetration.[8D]
Old 12-28-2003, 01:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Are you refering to the crimson tallons with aerofoil technology? If so I would reccomend another head. The blades are too flimsy and break off or collapse pretty easily. According to folks like 5shot and others that havetested and used them. They may be illegal in your state too. I am 99% sure that they are illegal here in Colorado.

Magnus is adding a four blade stinger in 125 grain weight this February. I also like innerloc heads. Super durable head and they fly great for me.
Old 12-28-2003, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would stay away from the Crimson talons as well. Another head that does work well and shoots great is the Slick trick, you can find them at www.slicktrick.net other fixed heads that shoot just like field points but are a bit smaller overall are the Rocky Ironhead 100 grn, Rocky tradition and wasp boss bullet. Most quality fixed blade heads can shoot well with the right setup. muzzys and Magnus stingers are a few of my favorites.