Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 ASAP Grim Reaper Climbing Stick >

ASAP Grim Reaper Climbing Stick

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

ASAP Grim Reaper Climbing Stick

Old 12-10-2003, 03:20 PM

Default ASAP Grim Reaper Climbing Stick

Have any of you guys used the telescoping climbing stick by ASAP? I've been looking at these for quite some time and I am interested to hear about any of your experiences. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ASAP Grim Reaper Climbing Stick

I purchased one about a year ago. At that time, ASAP were advertising on the AWAY Outdoor Show, Greg & Fred Abbas. When I got the climbing stick (I also purchased the game cart, saw combo package), I was quite disappointed with the workmanship. The 'U' clamps for holding the 'V' brackets were not all fully threaded and restricted the chances of tightening the brackets properly. They (ASAP) had just sent out a recall for the detachable steps, as they had some problem with the manufacturing and the steps were 'breaking'--I, to this day have never received my replacement steps. The paint job left much to be desired, and when fully extended the climbing stick 'wobbled' quite a bit.
Of course I called them to express my views on their product and the girls attitude was like---well just send it back!!! The return shipping charges was also to be at my own cost. Then at the ATA show in January of this year in Indianapolis, I spoke with both Greg & Fred Abbas, informing them of my experience with ASAP and was then told by Greg & his Dad that they also were also unhappy with them as was going to be discontinuing the relationship shortly. Which they have since done.
I have since gotten the API Quik Stik, with the 4' extension (sold separately) and recently bought the new Summit Bucksteps--great steps, as you can actually attach these steps individually and work your way around branches. I would recommend either of these two climbing sticks.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ASAP Grim Reaper Climbing Stick

Thanks for the heads up on the grim reaper stick. I am also interested in the Summit Bucksteps. ampahunter can you elaborate a little more on the Bucksteps? How high can you get with the 4 sections? I usually like to be around 20 feet or so.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bucksteps--Mike from Texas.

Mike, The Bucksteps comes with 4 sections, each 20" long, the step width is about 7 3/4" (steps on either side at top and bottom of each section). Total weight (4-sections) about 10 #'s and has a rating of 260 # limit. The Bucksteps attaches to the tree individually and secures with a cam buckle. The set will get you up to 15 feet...but will longer legs and not much clothing on, you'll be able to go a 'little further'. Can be ordered thru www.summitstands.com or for faster service call 'Karen', 256 353-0634. May be refered to one of their distributors, (www.amazonsports.com). You can also purchase another section separately to get you somewhere around the 20' height.
The 4-section kit should run about $90.00, of course shipping charges will then be added.
Hope this helps.