Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Hoyt Vipertec ........ in Review >

Hoyt Vipertec ........ in Review

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Hoyt Vipertec ........ in Review

Old 12-09-2003, 09:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Hoyt Vipertec ........ in Review

Thank you both for the kind sentiments.

Rangeball,

Yes, I feel somewhat the same way though those same thoughts are what sparked my comments in the conclusion. We don't get something for nothing so in order to get that extra speed we need to either have a shorter brace height, a stiffer draw cycle or a heavier draw weight. For what it is the Vipertec is a great little bow but it is going to have some stiff competition from what I hear Mathews is coming out with this year as well as the new Bowtech models.

Sag,

That scenario is even farther from happening now than it was 5 years ago as my wife and son have now definitely sapped my fund base.... I will make you a deal though.....when you buy and keep something besides those fancy bows you are currently shooting then I will buy a Bowman...
Old 12-09-2003, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

That was an excellent report.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:25 AM

Great Job PA - as usuall

looks nice - hoyts are IMO very well built bows............

Its just that riser and their speed...........
Old 12-09-2003, 10:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thank you again for the compliments.

RA,

The riser does not bother as much as the speed issue does...and even that is somewhat minor considering almost all manufacturers are in the same ball park so it becomes more of an issue of the bow's other shooting qualities and overall craftsmanship.....at least in my case.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Superb review as always Frank.

In a nutshell w/ my limited experience w/ the ViperTec, I came to the same general conclusions as you. Very, very smooth shooter, a little bouncy on target, and speed is... . Very nice machining on the new risers this year for sure. Hoyt continues to improve their machining year after year!

I think the X-tec will run neck and neck w/ the ViperTec for sales if folks are able to compare them side by side; IMO the X-tec is the better mousetrap, and in the shop already it has found more proponents than the ViperTec has..not just for speed, but for aiming/stability as well. The few extra $ are worth it AFAIC.

Just wish you'd do a 5 grain test on your bows..buy yourself some CX300s for cryin out loud!
Old 12-09-2003, 11:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Actually, I do have some CX 300s down in the basement....all fletched up and ready to go at 365 grains. But, if you remember the last time I sent one out of one of the last Hoyt's I owned then you can understand my reluctance to test them again....
Old 12-09-2003, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

Actually, I do have some CX 300s down in the basement....all fletched up and ready to go at 365 grains. But, if you remember the last time I sent one out of one of the last Hoyt's I owned then you can understand my reluctance to test them again....
Oh my. Has it been a year already?
Old 12-09-2003, 11:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Let me rifle through the assortment of shafts I have down there and I will see what I can do about your request.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oh just shoot one ya big sissy![]

I want to hear your thoughts on a lighter arrow as well.......it sounds to me like this is the Hoyt "Equivalent" of the BowTech Liberty that I just purchased. Speeds and shot reaction sound similar, which is why i would like to hear your thoughts on the lighter arrow.......I was shooting 375gr arrows at 75# from the first Liberty I shot and had the same shot reaction........no recoil etc. They sound very comparable it would be cool to shoot both side by side.
So, we no longer have to drag you kicking and screaming into the light of the longer riser, parallel limb, slightly higher mass weight?
Bout' time. that and the string loop thing too.
By the way, did ya blow a string leech already? I only see the top one or did you explain that in there somewhere?

Great review Frank, it really is, and the bow sounds terrific. If you get a chance to shoot it next to a Liberty send me your thoughts, I'd be ineterested in that. Too bad we aren't a bit closer together.......I doubt we'd have much trouble shooting each other's bows.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Very observant Matt. You are correct. One of the leeches did fly out when I shot the bow initially. I had to reinstall it in the bowstring and then serve it to keep in in place. I guess that I am either shooting to high of a speed or there are not enough twists in the string for them to sit on their own.

I will get around to shooting the lighter arrow when I can. The little guy kept me from doing any testing this evening. Friday looks like the earliest I can accomodate you and Jeff.

Yes, I do see the benefit to the slightly heavier, longer riser and shorter, parallel limb design. It has all its own appeal....though I am hoping the new MM VFT is a bit lighter or at least has slightly better mass weight distribution in comparison to my '03 Pat.

Lastly, we really don't live all that far apart. I was down your way last spring when I bought that SD Rhino from Deer Valley Sporting Goods in York. I might be taking a hard look at their newest offering come this spring as well.

As for the comparison to the Liberty....maybe. I think the vipertec is closer to the MM VFT in terms of both companies' overall lineup. I would like to put the Liberty up agains the Xtec...which also might be on my short list now that I had a chance to really play with one today.

Quick Reply: Hoyt Vipertec ........ in Review

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.