Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Compound or Recurve??

Old 01-08-2004, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Compound or Recurve??

The recurve is definitely more enjoyable to shoot, especially when things are going well. Bad days have frustrated me greatly though. In spite of that, I just bought a used Damon Howatt recurve to give it a go once more.

I used to be fiddling with my compounds a lot, but my present setups are pretty solid and trouble free. Don't need to do much except shoot them. I am much more reliably accurate with the compounds than I am with the recurves, but many guys can do quite well with the sticks. I would agree that $60-65 generally won't buy too much of a compound, but I still have an old Darton Viper that I tried to sell on ebay, and couldn't even get a $50 opening bid. That bow has out-shot most of the newer gotta-have bows that I try to replace it with.

If you already have the recurve, I would start really practicing with it and see how good you can become.

BTW, Arthur, you have become seriously anti-compound in the last 6 months or so.
Are those anal-retentive compound 3D shooters in Texas responsible for that?
Old 01-10-2004, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

BTW, Arthur, you have become seriously anti-compound in the last 6 months or so.
Are those anal-retentive compound 3D shooters in Texas responsible for that?
Joe, if it sounds like I have become anti-compound, it's unintentional. I get soured on compounds quite easy, I admit that. Part of it is "those anal-retentive compound 3D shooters in Texas", for sure. But mostly it's the prevailing attitude that only someone who shoots the latest greatest whizbang gear is really bowhunting. And the hostile responses I often get when I disagree with that foolishness just makes it worse.

I've shot bows all my life. Started playing with bows when I was 3. When I was 6, I started hunting small game with a bow - a solid 10 years before there was any such thing as a compound. I hunted with a recurve another 10 years before I ever drew a compound. I hunted with a recurve another 5 years before I finally bought a compound. I've shot a compound in competition, and even hunted with one on several ocassions over the past 20 years. But I've never gotten used to hunting with a compound and prefer a recurve or longbow for my still hunting/spot-n-stalk hunting style.

And now we've got guys that have never shot anything but a compound passing judgement on traditional gear, saying that it's ineffective or, worse, unethical. Nearly 50 years of my personal experience say otherwise. I will defend traditional equipment against such foolish remarks, no matter what. If I must sound anti-compound in the process, then so be it. Traditional equipment is no more and no less effective and no more or no less unethical than the guy that's pulling the string.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Arthur:

Thanks for the explanation, and I understand where you are coming from. Some guys just have to stir things up by making ignorant comments when they don't really have any working knowledge of things.

BTW, I got my Damon Howatt Bandito on Friday. It is almost as light as a longbow, and seems to have good cast for the weight. Right around #50 is what I need with these shoulders that are "damaged goods." I really like the thing so far. I am in the process of working on form - blind bale shooting, to try to cure the target panic I often get when shooting sticks. Hope it works, 'cause I would really like to hunt with this bow.