Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Summit Viper Review

Old 11-23-2003, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Summit Viper Review

Only complaint would be on the slight difficulty of getting the seat part and platform apart after they are packed for traveling. you kinda have to work side to side to get them apart and can be cumbersome in the dark.
Old 11-23-2003, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Viper, I love it. The only thing I wish they would improve just a little is the toe straps, I have just a tad bit of trouble getting my foot in them and its hard for an old fat boy to bend down and put them on especially on some trees, If they would be a little more rigid, so they would stand up a bit so you could get your foot in them would be better. IMO they are still the best engineered stand available, and that comfort, I just can' t say enough.
Old 11-23-2003, 05:59 PM

Great review!
I purchased the Viper XLS last year and wouldn' t trade it for anything. I do have to agree that the wrap around is a little cumbersome for bowhunting. I find that I have to stand to take a shot, which requires too much movement to maneuver.
I made my first shotgun kill in my short 3 year hunting career from this stand. The wraparound was a godsend for the shot. Nothing like having a brace to make your shot rocksolid.

Also, I am not a big fan of heights, but 20-25 feet up a tree in this stand and I feel quite secure. I' ve only had the stand slide once on me and that was because of my bad choice of trees. It was a rainy morning and I chose a smooth bark tree. Bad combination. Luckily, I had my harness on.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:45 AM

I agree it is a easy stand to use. I have to also agree that it is an extremely comfortable stand. The first time I used it my butt was killing me. Then I finally realized (Duh!) [&:] that I could slide the seat straps up a bit further to cover my entire butt. After that it was very very comfortable.

I must agree with Strut the foot straps could be designed better. When you are a guy with large feet those bungy straps are a pain in the a**. A couple of times I couldn' t get the darn cords on the back of my boots so I pulled down on the foot strap extra tight in order to climb down.

I wonder if Summit could design a foot mechanism similar to that of a ski boot harness. You would simply press down on the mechanism and it clamps down on your boot - both in the front and the back. To release the mechanism you could have a rod or something placed inside the bar. Remove the bar - press down on the release and hunt away. That way you wouldn' t have to constantly bend down to put the strap on and then fight like hell to put the bungy cord around the back of the boot. Just a thought.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

only problem I have with mine, is that it was stolen [:' (] but im a bit over 6' tall, and never had a problem with it...my current stand (hunters view), the wrap around bar is way too close and constantly is touching my knees.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:23 PM

has anyone had access to bowsport.com they advertise a 2 piece climber that holds 5oolbs and only weighs 12.6lbs.it is advertised in the 2003 buyers guide but i could not get the site on the internet
Old 12-01-2003, 02:02 AM

I also bought a Summit Viper this year and it works great and is easy and secure to climb with. My only complaint is that seat must taste good because a Bear ate mine[]. But the stand still works as good as new[:-].
Old 12-04-2003, 03:50 PM

I have a question about how it gets stolen and how a bear eats the seat.

Don't people generally buy climbers because you are taking them in and out of the woods each hunt?

I bought the Extreme XLS and found it to be very comfortable. I need to get a little better at using it quietly, but I am sure that will come with time and use.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mine was stolen out of my car. Busted window, stolen treestand, camos, and cd player. left the bow for some reason.