Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 How Do You Like Your Martin? >

How Do You Like Your Martin?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

How Do You Like Your Martin?

Old 11-11-2003, 07:59 AM

Default How Do You Like Your Martin?

I rarely see a mention of Martin bows on this or any forum and I feel lonely. I am curious to see if there are any other lonely Martin shooters out there. So, how do you like your Martin? I shoot a 2003 Martin Prowler SE. The Prowler SE was a mid-season intrduction by Martin so it was not in their 2003 catalog. This bow has a 33" ATA and 8.5" brace height. The Prowler is a mid-priced bow. I use a Spot-Hogg Right On sight, Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter rest, and Golden Key tranquilizer. I really like this bow because it is very quiet and accurate. Its rated speed is 290 FPS but I' m not that fast.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:02 PM

Default RE: How Do You Like Your Martin?

Martins are what I call " sleeper" bows. Of the compounds I have had, Martin and PSE have been workhorses and have never malfunctioned. I had (3) Martins but gave one to a friend. Now have 2 Martins but mainly use one that has been at my side for 11 years.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:29 AM

I agree c903. I' m no expert, but I think anyone who doesn' t give a Martin a try before buying a new bow is short changing themselves.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:07 PM

I love mine, I have the Prowler as well with a Bodoodle gamedropper and a shockblocker stabilizer. Just scored with it for the first time yesterday as a matter of fact. A big, fat doe at 5 yards. I believe it' s the best bow you can buy for less than $400. I wouldn' t necessarily call Martin a sleeper though. They just don' t flood the magazines with ads like Hoyt or Mathews. They are one of the most respected bow companies out there and have been for a long time. They also have a lot of new stuff coming out in 2004 and only time will tell but I think they' re going to be hot.

TJ
Old 11-12-2003, 01:36 PM

I' ve got a 2000 Model Martin Phantom with the Fuzion cam. This is only my second bow, but I think it' s great. Very accurate, fairly quiet, and not that pricey at all.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:39 PM

Martin makes a great bow. My 1st bow was a Martin Cougar. I am now shooting a Martin Jaguar Magnum - it' s absolutely awesome.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:34 PM

My last bow, which was my first compound bow, was a Martin Cougar Speedflight. What an awesome bow it was at its time. It was one of the fastest at the time, maybe the second fastest bow out there. Back when overdraws were in vogue, I was really hitting a high FPS rating.
I get caught up in the non-important stuff sometimes and because this bow was black, and not available in camo at the time, I had to get a new one. Plus my prong rest was needing replacement, so I got a whole new outfit.

I would consider Martin again, but Hoyt really captured me this time.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, love my Martin. Martin Firecat XRG, with Flite wheels.

Super smooth. As a graduate assistant, I have neither the time nor money to shoot year round. I can pick this bow up a month before season and be ready 2 weeks early. Forgiving brace height with a " long" ATA (I can remember when 41 was the shortest around!), smooth and quiet. I still get 230fps shooting a log (512 grains).

I will say, however, that I' m disappointed with the grips on the new models. Maybe it' s because I' ve grown accustomed to mine, but I think the Mathews and the G2 Buckmaster series now have the most comfortable grips, IMO.

S&R
Old 12-07-2003, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Cougar Magnum 2000 bow here and this is my 3rd season of bowhunting with it and no problems with it. I am waiting to see the 2004 models, been hearing great things about them!
Old 12-10-2003, 08:02 AM

I have a tracer, yeah it is a cheap bow but it is awesome! I plan on stickin with martin for a while. I love em!!