Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Diamondback VX?

Old 11-11-2003, 06:01 PM

Default Diamondback VX?

I' m buying a used Diamondback VX (2002). I' m currently shooting a McPherson Solo Lite. I' m curious to hear from the guys/gals shooting Diamondbacks....
Old 11-11-2003, 11:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Diamondback VX?

You might want to shoot it a bit before buying it! The Diamondback has the bio grip (angled grip) that has caused problems with some folks. I had the Anaconda with the same grip and it felt comfortable to me , but the shop I got it from had alot of unhappy buyers that just couldn' t get used to it. It caused alot of torque problems for those that couldn' t get used to it.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:23 PM

Hey Muskrat, I don' t know if this would interest you but there is a review if the McPhersen P-38 on FastestBows.com.
Old 11-14-2003, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don' t have the Diamondback, but I do have two similar bows.

I recently got a near-new McPherson 38 Special at a very good price. I did alot of tinkering with it to see if I was going to keep it or not. First of all, the Vib-X system works. Without any stabilizer on the bow, it does have a little vibration, and upward swing to the recoil. When even a small, solid stabilizer is installed into the Vib-X system, the vibration goes away. Set up with limb savers, and a 6" Stealth stabilizer, the 38 Special is nearly the equal of the Mathews Q2 XL that I had, and is equal or better than the MQ 1, in terms of recoil, vibe, noise, stability. I do remove the grip on most of my bows when I can, and put some type of fleece on the riser. The McPherson had a very slim grip portion of the riser, with very nice beveled edges. The bow shoots very well, and I have several broken nocks, and a near perfect Robin Hood in about a month of shooting. Overall, with broadheads, I just shoot a little bit better with my favorite Bowtech. The 38 Special is a very nice bow, however, and I shoot it better than either of the Mathews bows that I mentioned.

The angled grip on the Diamondback may or may not be a problem for you. I have put together a hybrid bow with a Golden Eagle Natural series riser with the angled grip. The bow shoots very accurately for me, but I have some torque issues that show up while shooting broadheads. No matter what rest I use, or how I have it set up, it puts broadheads to the left of my field points, and they just don' t fly perfectly straight like they do from my Bowtech setup. I could probably hunt with mechanicals with this bow, but I' m not sure I want to do that.

Hope this helps, even though I am not telling you about that exact bow. Hope you like the Diamondback.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:47 PM

Just got it! Got a screamin deal on a loaded one (2002) in mint condition. Shooting great, out of the box - I like the grip. This thing is so quiet, it' s almost spooky..to a greenhorn like me.