Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

New to the game

Old 10-21-2003, 01:01 PM

Default New to the game

This is something that I have wanted to do for a long time, and I just never had the time or the money to ever get into it. And I still don' t have the money. So I would like to grab some tips if anybody got any about bow hunting in general. And also I would like to know what you experienced archers think of the Browning Rage bow. It is the one that I am thinking about for my first bow.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:02 PM

Default RE: New to the game

HURRY!!!! GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding. Probably the most important advise anybody could give you is to visit the pro-shops in your area. These guys/gals are experts (I hope) in helping new people get started right in bowhunting. Sure, they want to sell something, but more importantly (the majority of them) want to make sure you are a repeat customer by getting you started off right.

Look at all their bows. Decide if you want to shoot fingers or with a mechanical release aid. If you shoot fingers, you' ll want a bow that is longer than 39 inches axle to axle. The longer the better in my opinion. I prefer 43" . With a release, around 39 inches also. The super short bows are very difficult for a beginner to master. You can upgrade later in life.

Start out with simple equipment. You don' t need drop down arrow rests, carbon arrows, mechanical broadheads, and all that stuff starting out. Tell the pro shop owner you want to keep it simple. Just make sure the stuff you buy is solid and well built. There' s guys out there killing deer with equipment they bought 20 + years ago.

Get yourself a good target. Bag targets work great for field points, but you' ll want a foam target of some kind (like the Block) for broadheads. Find a place where you can practice. Some municipalities consider the bow a weapon, and illegal to shoot in city limits. Other' s do not. If you have a privacy fence, GOOD, it will help stop arrows if you miss the target.

Get a poundage that you' re comfortable with. Alot of bows come with adjustable poundage in the 55-70 range. This is a good place to start if you can handle it in the pro shop. Just remember, if you start at 55 lbs, and then decide to up it to 70, you' ll need all new arrows and to retune the bow.

Find a archery club in your area and join. This is probably one of the best ways to learn the sport of archery and bowhunting. Most archers will be glad to give you pointers. Just remember, we are all human and some of our ideas are a little off the wall (' cept mine! )

And above all, DO NOT EXPECT TO HUNT THIS YEAR WITH A BOW!!!! You' ll want a good year of learning and practicing under your belt before you draw down on a living creature.

Good luck and don' t hesitate to ask questions here as well. There' s a great bunch of knowledgeable bowhunters here to help out.

Old 10-21-2003, 06:16 PM

Default RE: New to the game

Thanks for all the help Danny45. In Newfoundland, Canada where I am living, the hunting season has been in full swing for a couple of months now, so hunting this year is out of the question. And more than likely, next year aswell because it all depends of how comfortable I feel drawing and firing it. I am no strong man, so it could take a while before I am really ready to draw on one of those trophy Moose or Caribou that we are known for. I' ll keep everything posted on my progression and I won' t be afraid to post any other questions that I know I will have when I get started.