Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
Muzzy Phantom Broadheads >

Muzzy Phantom Broadheads

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Muzzy Phantom Broadheads

Old 01-05-2014, 03:35 AM
Spike

Default Muzzy Phantom Broadheads

Hi All,

I am still fairly new to bow hunting, but its safe to say I'm hooked! I saw a friend post a link to these Muzzy Phantom MS Broadheads on facebook, and I thought they looked pretty bad ass.

I have read good things about Muzzy products, but just wondered if anyone had experience using these particular broadheads, as I wouldn't mind picking some up! Or maybe steer me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-05-2014, 05:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

The Phantom is a good flying broadhead out of a tuned bow. And the cut on contact design makes it a good choice for even a light draw weight bow. The only complaint I have about them is when shooting them into a 'block' type target. The blades are held in place by a detent on the ferrule and the flat edge at the base of the blade causes the blade to come off when removing from the target.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:24 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
The blades are held in place by a detent on the ferrule and the flat edge at the base of the blade causes the blade to come off when removing from the target.
That would be a deal killer for me. Seems that the more move-able the blades, the more problems. My next broadhead will be a G5 Montec. With single-unit blades like the G5 you have no such problem and they may be resharpened with a flat diamond stone made for this without removing from the arrow. A little pricier, but the fact that you can resharpen yourself fairly easily would make up for it.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by MZS
That would be a deal killer for me. Seems that the more move-able the blades, the more problems. My next broadhead will be a G5 Montec. With single-unit blades like the G5 you have no such problem and they may be resharpened with a flat diamond stone made for this without removing from the arrow. A little pricier, but the fact that you can resharpen yourself fairly easily would make up for it.
I agree. If I would have known that before I bought them I wouldn't have. My Hips target has a couple blades in it from them.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:10 AM
Typical Buck

Great heads. I have been using them for years and have never had the issues mentioned above. The bleeders are very sound and dont move one bit. In facct they can be a bit difficult to get off so Im wondering if the commments were really about Phantoms.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

DIY - Yes the comment were definitely about Phantoms. I have both the 100 and the 125 grain versions. I do like them and they do fly great. I use them for hunting too. The way I go around the issue was to use Magnus Stingers for practice and then hunt with the Muzzys. They have very similar profiles.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:12 AM
Typical Buck

Perhaps you got a bad set. Ive been shooting phantoms for more than a decade into some pretty hard targets (and animals) and have never once had an issue with the bleeder blades moving at all (even the slightest bit). I even tested them into OBS hardbaord with no issues at all with the bleeder blades. The blade retention is outstanding.