Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Climbing Sticks

Old 09-30-2003, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Climbing Sticks

I think this was posted awhile ago, but I can' t find it. What would you recommend for climbing sticks? Brand, ease of use/set up, weight, price. I' m getting tired of screw in steps and am looking for an option. Most of the steps I' ve looked at are either very heavy (18-20lbs) or expensive. There has got to be a better way.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:28 PM

Default RE: Climbing Sticks

Handles

I too got tired of them so..... I made my own tie on ladders..... I made them with #3 re-bar.... They work fantastic and were really easy to make... If you have a welder and want to know how I did it - Ill post pictures if you want tonight
Old 09-30-2003, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

old friend of mine used the lone wolf climb sticks. can by a set of 3 for under 100.00. they are light weight alum that fold compact. space them out right and you can get about 20 feet in tree with only about 2-3 rope steps.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use the Gorilla climbing sticks.
They weight 3lbs each, each one is 3' long and are easy to put up and take down.
I put some ASAT 3d tape on mine to hide them a little.

Here is a pic of them in my lounge room.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. Eightwgt. If you have photos I think it would be great to post them. I don' t have a welder, but one of my buddies does it for a living. I was also looking at the gorilla' s, the price seems pretty good. Any problems setting them up in the tree?
Old 09-30-2003, 04:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Any problems setting them up in the tree?
No not at all they are easy to up and take down.
They just have the one strap to go around the tree sinch it tight and give the stick a quick pull down and they are set.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:53 PM

Ill post some pics tomorrow - I cant find the digital camera (wife had it) =)

Ill give you some dimentions also.... a 20' piece of # 3 rebar costs about 4 dollars - if you get 2 piecces you can make about 5 3' sections... enough to get plenty high.... I use 4 per stand - By thje way - I weight 160 pounds... and they are strong enough for me. Last year I made my first set and a weld broke when I was climbing but thanks to my being aware it could happen ( I was a lousy welder) I was ' ready' and didnt fall) and I welded rusty bars......but I learned.... the ones I have now I jumped up and down on.... plenty strong......
Old 09-30-2003, 09:19 PM

Here ya go

The ladder is 3' long ( I have some 3.5' ones also ) and its 6" wide at the base of the legs (where they contact the tree) I tie them on with camo rope.... one on each end - really easy to use........ and very cheap !!

To make -

Cut two pieces 3" long and weld 1/2" aprt to a scrap piece of metal (to make a bending jig)
Now simply cut some of the 3' long pieces.....2 for each ladder
Now that you have some shorter pieces, stick the end in your little jig....with the end out a few inches and start bending it into the ' U' shape - its 6" tall and 6" wide.....

Now simply set the long pices up on a 2X4 (layed flat so the long pieces are 1.5 - 2" off floor / slab)
Put the steps ) U pieces) in place (the long pieces go on the INSIDE of steps-see photo) and weld. I put one on each end, and tack weld in place, then the center one... then weld them up very well......

Then let them cool off... and paint them up........

Old 10-01-2003, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like it would work very well. Thanks, and I' m sure a few other readers will be able to use them as well.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:57 AM
Spike

eightwgt,

How long are the pieces that you bend for each step?

Great idea...

Quick Reply: Climbing Sticks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.